Monday, April 11, 2005

"Woo-Woo"

When I wrote Friday, I was waiting for Lex to "woo" me...ask me out...make me want to go...you know, the whole girl thing.

I received flowers at work/church with a card that simply said "woo-woo". The florist probably thought he was nuts. That's part of the charm...that he will look silly in front of someone else to make me melt, or laugh. Humans...aren't we a silly bunch?

We went to see Hitch. Very funny...very sweet. Then to a late dinner at a place we rarely go...Fuzio. We love it. It's kind of intimate and trendy. It was a wonderful evening. We came home late (for us) around 10:30 or so and our kids weren't even home yet! Things sure are changing fast.

Avery went to a friends house yesterday from the rocket club to finalize some last minute details before they leave for Alabama. The house I took him to was right next door to the house Lex and I bought when we were first married. Ashley was 16 months old when we moved there and Avery was born one month after moving in. That house has some sweet memories in it.

While Avery was doing his thing, my Mom and I took Ashley to find a Prom dress. It's amazing how fun and awful that whole process can be. But, in the end, she found a beautiful dress that makes her look like Cinderella...

So...my heart had some tugs yesterday as I dropped off my 6 foot son with a very deep voice next door to the house he was born in...and remembered having to put dead bolts on the doors up high in this house because my 17 month old daughter would try to get out to see her Daddy who had gone to work...I can see her clearly standing at the front door, (after the dead bolts were installed and she wasn't able to escape) looking at the door like she was willing it to open saying "Daddy, come home". Yes...my daughter spoke in sentences at 17 months...she's always been very clear with her communication skills.

Time flies...

But, as sad as it is, it is also wonderful because God is so good to make it all a beautiful cycle.

There were times when I thought Lex and I would never get another private moment as long as we live...and yet, in the blink of an eye, there we were Friday. Flowers, movie, dinner...

So...if I were to put a ribbon on my experiences for the weekend I would say that I figured out that where ever you are...enjoy it. Having Babies, Enjoying Toddlers (tiring but joyful), Starting school (scary but thrilling), Amazing Teen-Agers, Empty Nesters...

Whatever it is, enjoy it. It's all so good. So rich. Such a blessing.

3 comments:

Thurman8er said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend.

I remember that house. I remember the hardwood floors and when you guys had babies. Whatever happened to them anyway? What's all this NASA/Prom nonsense?

By the way, last night James thanked God for his fan, his wall, and his fan. He was NOT ready for sleep.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Sweet post!

Amy Anderson Westerman said...

Sandra! What fun to read your blog-- and yes, you do have a great sense of taste in blog template design! :)

Also great to read your perspective as a couple with teens-- especially since Scott and I are on the completely opposite end of that spectrum. Reading your words reminds me that time flies by so quickly!

LOVE!

AW

Blog Archive