Monday, April 18, 2005

What an amazing morning assembly time we had together yesterday! The message was clear and powerful...From where do you get your self-worth?

One of the newest members of our Praise Team sang "Who Am I?" It was gorgeous. Ashley joined him on the alto parts and I've never heard the song done so beautifully. It was a sermon in itself.

Two of our Elders prayed prayers of personal confession...what a powerful testimony for your leaders to get up and make themselves vulnerable before God and the church they serve.

Doug Baker was absolutely anointed as he spoke yesterday. He would be the first to tell you God was the reason his message was so powerful...but Doug was used as His vessel.

Today, I'm back to "auditions" for our Spring Program. I've auditioned the First & Second grades already. Today is Third, Fourth, & Fifth...and tomorrow we'll finish with Sixth.

My very first student to audition Thursday was a sweet first grade boy named Taylor. He was very nervous and walked in, looked me straight in the eye and said, "I'm ready for my audition!" "Cool, I'm ready for you, too." I told him. "By the way, Mrs Henderson," he continued, "you look real pretty today. I like your hair. Very Pretty." Very sly, don't you think? Complimenting the teacher...

But today...oh today...I had the music teacher's dream. Casey walks in. This child is so shy I barely notice him in class. He's quiet, doesn't get in trouble, does what he's supposed to do. You never hear him...he blends in to whatever situation he's in.

The kids are standing next to my piano with a music stand so they can have something to reference as they sing. With both hands in pockets, head down, feet shuffling I asked him, "Are you ready to sing?" "Yea, I guess" he said quietly. "O.K." I gave him the warm-up he was supposed to sing and then he opened his mouth and the most angelic voice came out...on pitch, in tempo! "Let's do that again," I said trying not to make a big deal out of this...He did it again, except a little louder and more confident this time.

"Casey, has anybody ever told you you have a beautiful voice?" I asked still not wanting to scare him off...

"Yea...sometimes" he answered shyly.

"Do you sing anywhere? Church? Anywhere?" I asked.

"No...I've got this whole embarrassment thing going." he replied.

I proceeded to tell Casey what a gift he had and how he should have confidence in that gift. He then let me hear a few more angelic tones before I let him go.

"See...that wasn't so bad, was it?" I asked

"No...not too bad." he answered with a cute smile.

"You're good, Casey. Have confidence in your gift."

"You're nice, Mrs Henderson...Kind of breathtaking." he replied

I'm not sure exactly what he meant by that, but I do know that Casey will have a part in the program and it will be beautiful.

No comments:

Blog Archive