Friday, April 08, 2005

There's something strange that happens when your kids really start to grow up.
Oh, I know mine have been doing it for a few years...(Avery will be 16 soon and Ashley is 17...) but this is the second Friday in a row that they both have "plans" and Lex and I are sitting around looking at each other wondering where the time went.

My daughter is going out with one group of friends and my son will be with another. So, I called my sweet husband and said...hey, let's go to the movies or something...

The conversation twisted and turned until I decided that if we were going to go out on a date, he should ask me proper...right?
I told him I'd be waiting for him to "woo" me and I'll let him know my decision later. I'm waiting... I'm going out on a limb here, because I so badly want to report back to the blogging nation that he did a good job of "woo-ing" and I couldn't turn him down. But, you never know!

My son handed me a flight schedule last night sent to him from the people at NASA. He leaves in a couple of weeks with his team from school. He, like Ashley, has never flown before (until her recent New York excursion). So, as a Mom, I'm not only struggling with the fact that my baby is communicating with NASA
...
(do you understand that they didn't send me the flight schedule...his Mom...they sent it directly to him...do you get how difficult that is for a Mom?)
but he will be flying, talking, launching, eating, sleeping, making choice after choice, away from his parents.

Do I trust him? More than I trust myself...and that is the absolute truth. This is an honest, good, trustworthy, dependable young man. He will be a fine servant all of his days...

I'm so grateful God gives us opportunities that MAKE us let go of what needs letting go. I would never make the choice to send my kids on if it were up to me. I would keep them close forever because I adore who they are.

O.K. enough of the letting go talk. Apply it however is best for you. I am, however, eternally grateful that God didn't hold His son close and protect His every move like I would do mine if they let me. The sacrifice is so hard for me to fully embrace...

2 comments:

Thurman8er said...

That SO rocks that Avery is getting to do that. You know he's James' hero, right? When something breaks he says, "Probably Avery can fix it."

I'm grateful that James is 4. I don't have to deal with this "letting go" stuff for a long time.

Generous Kitchen said...

That is so sweet...I say the same thing when things break. He really can fix anything.

Fortunately, God gives us these little "let go" lessons a bit at a time so we, as parents, can handle it. Although the big ones are hard, He prepares you.

Blog Archive