Saturday, April 09, 2005

Typically, when I've finished the "music lesson" with the pre-school children(if you can call Jesus Loves Me and Take Me Out to the Ballgame a lesson), I sit back and let their teachers line them up and take them back to class. This in itself is quite a challenge considering there are 4 classes with about 15 children in each class...(you counted right...60 pre-school children singing together! It's about as cute as anything could possibly be.)

While waiting for this long line-up process, a little girl came walking up to me (stepped out of her line which was so close to being ready to go) and asked me to tie her shoe. "Of course", I said and pulled her up on my lap, tied her shoe, gave her a quick hug, and put her down instructing her to jump right back in line.

Then it happened...a lesson I'll never forget...

I looked over in the corner and another little girl was trying to get her shoe lace untied. Obviously her mom or dad had double knotted it so it wouldn't come untied, but she worked until she managed to get it loose. Shook her foot a few times so the laces were really hanging there and then proceeded to run to me.

I picked her up, tied her shoe, and then hugged her really tight. She didn't want to let go so I hugged her a little more, rocked her back and forth a few times, and told her she was very special and I appreciated the way she smiled while she sang. That was good. Down she went into her line.

You get it, don't you?

She thought she had to have a reason...something wrong in order to approach me and get the hug. The attention and hug was what she wanted, but she couldn't just come ask for that...she had to justify the visit.


You know, we don't have to have a reason to approach our Heavenly Father. To ask, or to thank, or to praise, or to plead...those are all appropriate reasons to approach the Father, but we don't have to wait until then.

Take some time to just sit...let Him hold you...tell you how very special you are to Him...rock you back and forth...just because you are His and He is yours.

I've not learned so much in all my life as I have since "teaching" those 3 & 4 year olds.

Enjoy your quiet visit with God.

No comments:

Blog Archive