Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The weather has been absolutely beautiful!

I went out in my yard on Saturday and found roses and lilies to pick and put in the house. What that really means is that I cleaned the house in a more determined and deeper way than usual...my Mom used to call it "spring cleaning".

She was more disciplined than I. I think she did it on a regular basis...she may have even had it marked on her calendar. I, on the other hand, have to "feel" like doing it. You never know what's going to trigger that "get this house cleaned up after winter" feeling.

Sometimes it's company coming over...but this time, it was flowers. You see, I couldn't bring in those exquisite flowers without preparing the place I was going to set them. One thing led to another, and what do you know...I've been "spring cleaning".

Driving my sweet son to work yesterday, he was very quiet. Sometimes he talks the whole way about things I have no idea about. When he talks to me about engines, or rockets, or building design...I've learned to say "that's great", or "cool", and always "I'm proud of you". You see, that way, I'm in the conversation...he knows I'm listening, but I don't have to talk intelligently about things that I don't understand at all.

But yesterday, he was very quiet. As a mom, that sometimes triggers a red flag. So, I let it go for quite a while and then finally said..."tell me what you're thinking..." He looked at me kind of startled like I'd snapped him out of a deep thought. I was thinking..."oh, this is deep...I hope he's o.k....obviously, he's got something heavy on his heart."

"What are you thinking?" I asked again.

"Oh..." he said. "Butterflies!"

"What?" I asked

"Butterflies" he said again "look at all the hundreds of butterflies! This is the time they all come out. They're all over...just look, Mom. They're everywhere!"

He was right. I hadn't even noticed.

That was it. That was all he was thinking about. The butterflies.

Flowers and butterflies.

Isn't this a wonderful world God has created for us?

1 comment:

Thurman8er said...

Sweet boy sweet boy sweet boy.

Sunday night, James was laying on the couch with Rich, his foot hanging over the side. Tabby saw it, creeped up, and jumped at James' foot. This delighted him to no end and he stuck it out again for Tabby to get. She, of course, obliged. James was so tickled he had to jump up off the couch, dance, laugh, and slap his little leg.

Love our boys.

Blog Archive