Thursday, April 21, 2005

It is very dark...a little chilly...and a bit overwhelming as I stand at the front screen door and tell my son how much I love him, how I'm going to miss him, AND how very proud I am of who he is and what he is accomplishing.

It's 4:30 am and his Dad is taking him to the airport. I'm so good at the getting ready part, but not so good at the actual departure moment. I think I have separation anxiety from my children.

If you remember, not too long ago I had to let Ashley go to New York without me. I didn't handle that very well, either.

He went in and told his sleeping sister good bye, which, I think was more for the privilege of waking her up than the actual thought that he might miss her. Her parting words to him were "don't blow up the plane". Aahhh...how sweet they are to each other.

Avery called from the airport after they had made it through all the security checks. NASA had cleared the kids, but the carry-on boxes they were taking on the plane had black powder residue on them...explosive...and although the rocket is in sections and each of the 5 students had a section as their responsibility, it still un-nerves the airlines when black explosive powder residue is detected. I can understand that.

So, my son calls and says that the carry-on made it through the check with no problem. He, however, did not have it so easy.

He set off the buzzer. He took off his shoes. They scanned him. He set off the buzzer. He emptied his pockets, again. They scanned him. He set off the buzzer. He took off his sweatshirt. They scanned him. He set off the buzzer. He took off his socks and shirt. They scanned him. He set off the buzzer. (Remember this is his first time flying...he's a little nervous at this point...and amused.)

Finally, when there was really nothing more to strip off (at least in full view of those watching), he found in the bottom of his pocket a gum wrapper...a foil lined gum wrapper.

They scanned him...he cleared.

All of you who fly frequently, I want you to feel extra safe. The black powder made it through without a hitch, but fortunately, they caught that dangerous boy with the gum wrapper weapon.

I solicit your prayers on his behalf as well as the team of students and the teacher accompanying them. We want them to be successful, be safe, have fun, learn a few things, but most of all, I want Avery's love for God to shine through.

I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Blog Archive