Tuesday, August 16, 2005

So...I hop on the bike while Avery and Lex head for the treadmill. I like the bike, they like the treadmill. We hadn't talked about how long we would go, but we could see each other in case we needed to use hand signals to communicate anything.

I observed so much while peddling. Most people are just there to accomplish a goal. Whatever that is, it's personal. There was little conversation between folks, some smiles and nods, but for the most part, people go to work out and then get out of there. A couple of people are obviously there to impress or draw the attention of the opposite sex, but not too many seemed to be successful last night.

I saw a couple of really cute, skinny, tan, (ugh!) girls hop on the treadmill in the front of the treadmill group. (See, if it's me, I'm finding one in the back of the line because I don't want anybody looking at my back side as I walk.) But these girls really had every right to be very proud of the way they looked, so the front of the line was no problem for them. Then, they proceeded to walk, walk faster, and then jog. Here's the amazing part, they were talking and laughing while jogging. Really! Talking and laughing WHILE JOGGING. See, again, I on the other hand, am concentrating on my next breath...so thankful I'm still breathing.

My final observation for the day. There came a time (and I won't tell you exactly how long it was because it would amuse some of you and you would make fun of me), but there came a time half way through my "riding workout" when I thought, "I can't do this. I'm going to stop the machine and just call it a night. I've done fine. Better than if I hadn't been here at all. Right? So, sure, Sandra, go ahead and quit." I talked to myself for about 2 minutes of this ride, realizing I was only half way there and feeling very tired. I kept looking over at Lex and Avery, hoping they looked as tired as I felt, but, they weren't seeing me. So, I kept going.

Then, I realized, I wasn't so tired anymore. Is this what people of the athletic persuasion call a "second wind"? How exciting! I was o.k. I finished out my time, looked down at the boys who were still comfortably walking, and decided..."Well, heck! That went so well I'll do another 10 minutes!" I put 10 more minutes in the computer and started cycling. About minute 8, I looked down at Lex and fortunately he was looking this time. I ran my finger across my neck as in "I'm finished!" He smiled and nodded and told me to come to him.

I felt like Bambi. Remember the scene when Bambi tries to get up and walk? The wobbly unsteady legs falling all over the ice? It is such a cute scene through Disney eyes, however, in real life, not so cute. I wobbled my jelly legs over to him and told him that was it for me for the night.

I was so proud. Not only did I finish my goal, but went just a little bit more. Good for me!

2 comments:

Thurman8er said...

DARN RIGHT, GOOD FOR YOU!!! Lisa says she is proud of you too.

I love that you guys are going as a family. What a great way to do it. It was easier to find time to go solo but it would be a real act of bonding to do the gym together.

Of course, the real question is...how do you feel today? They say the best thing for aches and pains is to go back and do the thing that caused you to ache in the first place. I don't know who "they" are, but I don't like them very much.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

YEA!!!!!!! You GO girl! I can just see you guys knockin it out at Bali's! Excellent! I wish I was there. It would help motivate me. I'm still eating out of sympathy--trouble is, Sheryl's not pregnant anymore and I have no excuse!!

Blog Archive