Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Most of you know last year I taught music for the school that inhabits our church building Monday - Friday. It was a difficult experience "scheduley" speaking (I know, that's not a word), but an absolute pleasure and joy to interact and grow and love those children on a day to day basis.

Because of that, they always wave and smile and some are even so bold to get out of their lines and come hug me when they see me at my desk. They are sweet and special.

Today, one of my favorites (I know you're not supposed to have favorites) came by and stopped in the doorway of my office. I smiled and said hi and asked how she was doing...

"You'll never guess what I have." she said.
"What?" I asked hoping it wasn't something that crawled or slithered.

"We got my baby brother yesterday!"

"Oh, my goodness!" I exclaimed so very relieved it wasn't a snake or a snail. (the class across from me are doing their annual snail study and every morning some of them like to show me their offering for the day!) "How exciting for you! How's you're mommy doing?"

"She's good. She cried all day every time she looked at him. He's a year old."

I was now understanding this wasn't a birth into their home but an adoption.

"His name is Jimmy." she said. "He has dimples and is beautiful. I was the only one and now there's Jimmy and me."

"Oh, how wonderful for you guys. I'm so happy for you. Jimmy's blessed to have you for a big sister."

"Ya..." (and here's the comment that finally stuck right through my heart)

"We were supposed to have other baby's before, but it didn't work out. But this one did work out. So, we're going to change his name. We're going to choose a name for him that's from us so he will know forever he is ours."

Those sweet children continue to teach me...

I Thessalonians 1:4 For we know, brothers loved by God, that He has chosen you.

Colossians 3:12
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

I Peter 2:9
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness and into his wonderful light.

2 comments:

Thurman8er said...

Have I ever told you how glad I am that Mom and Dad chose you? And that God said "okay."

Brady said...

Good story. My kids are always telling each other that they were adopted because they are weird. And they do make up names for each other, which I can't repeat here.

Blog Archive