Monday, August 15, 2005

For Father's Day this year, the kids and I gave Lex something the whole family can use. Something we've never purchased before. Something we need desperately but don't really want. Something we can make hundreds of excuses why we won't use.

Avery and I had the brilliant idea to get Lex a membership to Bali Total Fitness Gym. He used to enjoy working out before his back injury, and since, because of time or money or the injury itself, we just haven't revisited the idea for him.

The salesman was so good, we ended up getting a family membership for not too much money and, after all, we all could use it and maybe enjoy some family time doing something healthy.

So, this was a Father's Day gift, and today is August 15. Our first visit to the gym for our "personal trainer consultation" was last night.

I actually was nervous. I have no idea how to act in a gym. I don't fit. I don't understand the machines or the exercises and my confidence is at an all time low in a place like that.

The girl who is our family personal trainer is about 5 '4", 110 lbs, and total muscle. UUGGGHHH was my first impression. There's no way she's going to be patient or understand this middle-aged-no-muscle-over-weight person standing in front of her. I was wrong.

She was sweet, and patient, and careful with us. She explained everything and encouraged us and challenged us. We had a blast. All four of us were weighed, including finding out what our total body fat was. (Some day I might share that figure with you, but for now, I'll just say Lex was proud because he had the lowest number). We each talked individually about what our personal goals were and how we wanted to reach them. It was such a fun night. I think she actually cares about our success.

I think we all walked out of there feeling better about ourselves than when we went in. Exactly the opposite from what we expected.

I'll keep you posted in our journey to better physical health. But, in the meantime, I couldn't help but think that there are people who walk in our churches often who are nervous. For whatever reason, they show up. Nervous, feeling like they don't fit, and confused by the "exercises" we go through in our assembly. But deep down, they know they need to be there. They're not exactly sure why, but they know it's a step to better health, somehow.

The way we receive them will make the difference between their success or failure in that venture. We need to be sweet, patient, and genuinely concerned about the success of their journey. We need to teach, encourage, and challenge them.

And hopefully, they will feel better when they leave than when they came because they had an encounter with Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

Thurman8er said...

Sounds cool! I used to actually enjoy the gym before I had to start paying for it. That took alot of the fun out of it for me.

Thanks again for an awesome job on Sunday. The hard work really showed.

Blog Archive