Friday, August 26, 2005

Austin is a 7th grade young man from a home that hasn't provided him many advantages in life. This kid has captured my heart and I want you to know him, too.

Sunday was our celebration/recognition of the kids leaving the elementary school program and moving up into the Youth Group. Those starting Middle School...7th grade. Scary, difficult, exciting times for young people.

Austin started coming about 2 years ago with a family that has since left College. They brought him to V.B.S. and he stuck with us after that. His main attendance was Wednesday night Pioneer Club program which is an outstanding draw for kids in elementary school. Much credit goes to Tannon and Theresa Pafford who have tirelessly promoted and developed that into an exciting and outstanding time for our kids.

Tannon and Theresa emailed me last week and said please make sure someone contacts Austin. He needs to be here Sunday morning and experience the "promotion" time. He typically doesn't come Sunday mornings and we thought he might need a ride. He was called and was excited to be invited and said he would come.

Sunday morning rolled around. Lex called all the kids to the front to honor them, have the Elders surround and pray for them, and then present each one with a Bible.

No Austin. I was very disappointed but knew some things we just can't control.

Church was dismissed and we were deep in the elementary class time with much excitement and enthusiasm when I looked up and in walked Austin.

I walked over to him, put my arm around him and said, "Hey there...It's so good to see you."

"yah", he answered "when was I supposed to be here? I think I'm supposed to go to the teen room. Do you know where that is?"

"Absolutely. And, on our way to the teen room, I need to stop by my office and give you something."

We walked down the hall chatting about school and nothing in particular. Stopped by my office and I gave him his Bible.

"Austin, this is for you from Lex and I and the Elders and all the people here who are proud of you for your successful entrance into the Youth Group and Middle School. Use this Bible. Read this Bible. Ask questions...lots of questions."

Austin didn't open it. He just held it with both hands up to his chest. "Thanks" he said.

"You're welcome. Now let's go find the teen room. They're having a party for all the incoming 7th graders and you don't want to miss it."

We walked down the very long hall way quietly when out of the blue Austin said, "If there is no God, or if scientists prove God wrong, then all this..." his voice trailed off..."all this..." he said again holding his Bible close to him.

"All this means nothing, right?" I answered him.

"Right. Everything would mean nothing." he responded.

"Austin, has anyone proved God wrong?"

"No. And that's so cool because people have tried and can't do it."

"That is cool." I responded.

"So, how do I know for sure everything with God is real?"

"You study this Bible. You think for yourself. You pray and talk with God as many times a day as you want and need to. And, you have faith. Faith is the thing that helps us when there are things going on we can't fix or control or change. Faith is hoping for stuff we can't quite put our finger on or understand."

"That's good. This is good. Thanks." he said as the sweetest smile came over him.

We arrived at the teen room and he was enthusiastically met by one of the teen support parents who promptly led him into the room with all the other scared questioning wild young people.

For once, I was so thankful for long hallways. That conversation wouldn't have taken place if we hadn't had to walk together such a distance.

Remember Austin. Pray for Austin.


2 comments:

Brady said...

That is so fun to hear about the little guy with his big-guy thoughts. That's just… cool.

Anonymous said...

We were googling our names and came across this blog of yours. Plus, we wanted to know what you said about us :) I never knew that Austin finally showed up that day. I'm so glad that you were there for him. We think about him a lot as i have always been concerned about his spiritual journey.

Blog Archive