Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Your comments have been interesting. It's a good exercise to simply stop and think about how we relate to the world.

This book has me reading pages over again because it's not in my typical language...but the process is good for me and what I'm learning is exciting.

I say that to say this: I know some of you may see this as simplistic. Maybe you've thought these thoughts months or years before and you're thinking, "Duh, we already knew that." But for me, this is where my brain is at the moment. So, hang in there with me.

There is basically a matrix which offers four general categories addressed in this book. They've chosen 5 people to speak on each quadrant. (one quadrant has two authors).

This matrix represents the church's response to cultural change on two axes, change in method/form/style and change in message/content/substance.

According to the book, churches fall into one of these categories:
1. Low Change in Method/Low Change in Message
2. High Change in Method/Low Change in Message
3. High Change in Message/Low Change in Method
4. High Change in Message/High Change in Method

Leonard Sweet goes on to say this:

This introductory essay anatomizes the complex subject of Christ and culture in a different way: by describing four types of clearings (Garden, Park, Glen, Meadow) in which twenty-first century leaders are laboring. The language of "clearing" is another way of talking about "Kingdom" and kingdom is another way of talking about creativity. Each clearing engenders a different ecosystem.

Sweet goes on to explain that those in the first clearing, the Garden, use only tried and true seeds that have been inherited. They retain the purity of the seed stock and pass on the rituals of planting as they've inherited them. This is called "preserving message/preserving method" clearing.

The second clearing, the Park, use only the seeds that have been passed down from their ancestors, but they exploit new methods of planting the ground. This is the "preserving message/evolving methods" clearing.

Third is the Glen, where they feel free to fortify the seed stock and adapt it to meet the challenges of new environments. However, they sow this new seed in traditional ground with traditional plows. This is the "evolving message/preserving method" clearing.

Finally, those in the Meadow are open to augmenting the seed stock, even using new techniques of cross-fertilization, hybridization, and the like. They desire to use the latest tractors and any other equipment needed. This is the "evolving message/evolving method" clearing.

Obviously, this isn't absolute. These "clearings" or quadrants aren't the final say in who we are. But it's an interesting study.

To answer my own question from the previous blog...I use a genuine "how are you?" method as well as food. Food can reach people and make them vulnerable in ways that open you up to conversation later. And, when ordering or paying or whatever I'm doing in daily life, I try to always ask people how their day is going in some way. It's amazing the hunger people have to just be cared about...if even for a short moment.

Blessings...

2 comments:

cwinwc said...

I'm having a "liver and onions" kind of day.

Brady said...

I like tried and true seed, fortified with the power of the Spirit, planted humbly. I find myself liking any method that I'm not presently using. Methods need to answer questions people are asking.

Blog Archive