Monday, March 13, 2006

The "Viewing"

This blog won't take long.

Went to "view" Lex's Grandmother today. I've been to a few, and usually, they're in a larger room so you can "escape" actually "viewing" the body in the casket.

I know I'm weird. Maybe it's the hundreds of funerals I've sung for, or maybe I'm just really a strange bird, but I don't get the viewing concept.

We went to the Funeral Home and they directed us to a room where the door was closed. We expected others to be there, but nobody was in the room except Avery, Lex, and I. Open the door and nearly walked right into Grandma.

Oh, this isn't good. Closed the door and immediately felt the blood, or something, rush to my head. Turned my back on Grandma to read the guest list of those who had already been there. Felt a little light headed...fortunately there was a chair and a couch. Avery took the couch, I took the chair. Sweet Lex was paying his respects to Grandma.

"So, isn't this a cool old house?" I asked my architect son.

"This was a house?"

"A long time ago...can you imagine living here? It's beautiful." I answered

We made small talk, I took the "program" and fanned my face that felt like it was on fire.

I acted very cool. Then, Lex asked me if I was ready to go.

I was up and out of there before he even finished the sentence.

So, here's the important part of my blog.

For the record, when I quit breathing, when God takes my soul from this earth, when I no longer have control over my make-up, hair, and clothes...I don't want to be viewed. I don't care who you are. I don't care how much you proclaim you loved me, I don't care how long we knew each other...don't view me. It panics me to even think about it.

By the way, the quick nano-second that I glanced at Grandma, I noticed she looked beautiful. Peaceful. But then that fever came over me and I had to look away.

Blessings.


4 comments:

cwinwc said...

You got it Sandra. Just make sure you leave your cookie recipes behind. We could have a non-viewing cookie fellowship to celebrate your life and your cookies.

Brady said...

I love that SoS dress.

I want to be stuffed and used as a door jam.

Thurman8er said...

Ack! The Spirit of Spring has been invoked!

I think you should share your daughters concern that by spreading the ashes in two different places, Grandma will be split up for all eternity.

cwinwc said...

Sandra - Greg and I can give your daughter some helpful hints when spreading one's ashes.

Rule #1 - Never spread one's ashes in the face of a head wind!

This happened to Greg and me back in Florida many years ago. At the request of one of our widows at church, we took her husband ashes down to the Indian River to spread among God’s creation. We walked to the end of a long dock and waited for a calm moment. As we (can’t remember if Greg or I had a finger on the trigger so to speak) tossed “George’s (name changed to protect the cremated) ashes into the river, a strong gust of wind carried what was left of George all over Greg and me!

To alter a Jim Croce song from the 70’s:

“You don’t tug on Superman’s cape, you don’t toss George in the wind!”

Blog Archive