Thursday, March 16, 2006

Finished a "fun" book of light reading Sunday, so I thought it was time to get into something a bit meatier.

I've had "The Church in Emerging Culture" for some time and haven't dug in yet.

There are 5 authors: Leonard Sweet, Andy Crouch, Michael Horton, Frederica Mathewes-Green, Brian McLaren, and Erwin Raphael McManus.

The book begins with Leonard Sweet, who happens to blow my mind. When he was in Fresno for the ZOE Conference, I would listen, and then have to stop and think about what he just said, which made me sometimes miss what he was saying next. He has a sarcastic tone, but generally, his thoughts are brilliant...in my opinion.

His chapter begins:

"It has been more than fifty years since the publication of H.Richard Niebur's classic text Christ and Culture (1951), which asked the question, What kinds of relationships does the church want with the culture?"

Sweet goes on to say that Niebur's book was "one of the most influential Christian books of the past century." He then says, "Niebuhr's words aren't the last on the subject. Five decades after Christ and Culture, we're still asking: Is the 'lived culture' of Christian faith shaped by criteria intrinsic to itself or in mutual exchange with the culture?"

So, fifty years ago the questions were the same as today. And, in the first century, the question was how to relate to the culture. Sweet goes on to say that the Christ of the Bible is the Christ of a culture. The ultimate act of communication in history, the Incarnation, means that Christ became a part of a culture and can't be understood apart from culture. You can't live in God without living in the world.

So, my question of the day is this...

How do you personally relate to the world? What tools do you have that catches the worlds attention? How do you, Christian people, develop healthy relationship with the world?

I have an answer for myself...but you'll have to tune in next time the read it. For now, I'm interested in your comments regarding your own life.

Blessings...

3 comments:

julie said...

Sandra, hard questions but I can only answer honestly...
I have to work hard to keep myself centered in God and the presence of God...then I can be in my world and my culture. That means prayer and scripture and time with others who help keep me centered. That time with people can be fun and crazy but it also needs to be purposeful and holy. The moments recently that I have had the most clarity have been with my spiritual formation group. It is structured and leads me to places that I least expect...many times places that compel me to be different in my world. I don't feel alien in my culture. I wonder sometimes if I am supposed to. I am mostly comfortable with my world and I believe that I have been told that I shouldn't be. Now your conversation starters have pushed me back to scripture. I will come back tomorrow after some more thought and more searching.

Thurman8er said...

I have, for years, used humor and pop culture references to relate to the world around me. The thing is, that works! If you're looking for a light-hearted, shallow relationship with the people around you, it's perfect.

Lately I've been trying to actually listen to people talk about their lives and show that I care with actions and follow-up. That seems to work a little better.

I still crack jokes though.

cwinwc said...

Like Steve, knowledge of the pop culture certainly gives one An opening to relate to folks. Being a teacher and having a teenager certainly keeps me somewhat in touch with pop culture, sometimes more than I want to be.

Sports, both talking about and playing them have always been another tool in my arsenal. Another door opened when Steven started playing sports and I started coaching him. I still remember when Steven was 12 and we were playing in a particularly tight game. A call at the plate went against us which almost caused “K,” our team’s manager, to begin to spew some obscenities at the ump and in front of our boys. I looked at K, a man who I had been partners with in our endeavor to practice and teach our boys to become the championship team that they ended up being, and said, “Come on Coach, you’re better than that.”

He looked at me and said, “(D-word) Coach Cecil, I don’t know how you do it? I know you’re a religious man. Maybe I need some of that religion you have?”

This was an opening to a man, a good man, a rough hard charging kind of guy who loved kids but didn’t know the Lord, to invite him to church. I did and he came.

It’s a fine line we sometimes walk to be involved with the world but not to be influenced by it. Sounds like an inequality to me.

Blog Archive