Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I love being around the table with my kids and husband. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen often enough. But when it does, I treasure it.

The conversation is almost always spirited, vibrant, intelligent, and revealing. It's neat to be able to talk to your kids like adults.

I asked the kids if they had any opinion on the practice of Lent. I specifically asked Avery if he knew what it was..."the stuff in the bottom of your pockets?" he replied with a naughty grin. I never know for sure if he's joking.

Then, because Ashley has many friends of the Catholic and Lutheran faith, I asked if she'd tell us what she knows about it. She did a good job explaining it. I then asked if they thought it wasn't a really good practice. Something physical we do to help us focus on Christ on a daily basis...how can that be bad?

We talked about the fact that just because it isn't commonly practiced in the C of C doesn't mean it isn't something good...and, just because it's embraced by another "religion" doesn't mean it's bad.

Ashley said we missed out on the "Fat Tuesday" part of it which puts us at a disadvantage. Basically, we agreed we have been living like it's "Fat Tuesday" for about 3 months now. It's time to become more focused and disciplined.

They agreed...

"So, Mom," Avery asked, "what are you going to give up?"

Yikes...why do I have to answer first, and when did this conversation flip from me in charge to them?

"I don't know...what do you guys think you would be willing to give up?" I used the 'ole Randy method of answering a question with a question.

Ashley responded that her friends had given up a multitude of things but mainly sugar and caffeine. Some have given up meat...some chocolate. But the majority have the sugar and soda thing in common. So, she thought giving up sugar and soda would be good because she wouldn't want to eat/drink in front of her friends anyway. So, basically, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Avery thought sugar and soda was a good thing to give up. Lex, too. So, what was I to do? How can I give up anything and still retain sugar and soda? O.K. I'll give up sugar and soda.

I was so grateful to see today at the grocery store Black Cherry Jello in a sugar free container. Very exciting. There was Chocolate, also. So, in my fridge sits happy little pudding/jello cups minus one. I've already tried the Black Cherry...very tasty!

I have thrown away the M&M's...I've tried to throw away the Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar Crunch ice cream in the freezer, but can't quite seem to follow through with that. I need to dump the 2 liter sodas we have left over from a dinner we had with company a few days ago.

So, if you had to give something up, (or maybe you do during this time), what would be most difficult to let go of?

I don't think it's a necessary practice to get me into heaven, but something that helps create physical health while at the same time focusing my mind on Christ can't be bad. When I have wanted something I promised to refrain from, it has made me think about what He gave up for me. Seems trivial in comparison to His sacrifice.

Blessings!



3 comments:

cwinwc said...

For this southerner it's a no brainer or perhaps that should be "no strainer?"

Any way, it would be sweet tea. I love my sweet tea.

Sandra, excuse me while I borrow your blog for a moment:

Randy - How about Sonny's BBQ?

Brady said...

I can't believe you threw m&ms away with so many people hungry in the world. Just don't dump any Dr. Pepper.

Thurman8er said...

I tried giving up Pepsi once. It hurt too bad.

Blog Archive