Friday, December 30, 2005

Not sure why, but my Dad has been on my mind lately.

He passed away in 1988, and there are many reasons to miss him. But I think the most evident thing for me is the "I wish he were here to see my kids" reason.

I'm so proud of my kids, and I know he would get a kick out of them, also.

He was a quiet man. Studied and read and studied and read...in fact, he used to drive me crazy wanting to talk about the Bible. I wish now that I had engaged him more and listened more and learned more. But, I wasn't ready to hear all that he was saying.

Here's the thing I remember about him that impressed me most.

He put together this Saturday morning study/prayer time with other people. Not other c of c people, but people who just simply loved the Lord as he did.

I remember specifically there was somebody of the pentecostal area, a catholic man, and a one-cup church of Christ man, and then my Dad. I think there were others here and there, but those 4 were the "heart" of the prayer group.

It wasn't common practice in those days to "fellowship" with people outside of the c of c realm...at least not fellowship freely with the understanding that all have equal access to the Kingdom of Heaven. My Dad did. He gave the church of Christ a good name. I was proud of him for that...still am.

I'm so grateful we grew up in a home that didn't say we were the only "right" or "saved" ones.

I do miss my Dad. But, honestly, if you knew him, you knew he lived his life just to meet God. He wasn't interested in earth...at all. So, selfishly, I wish he had stuck around a little longer, but I know he's where he longed to be.

3 comments:

Brady said...

Your dad was an encourager. He certainly believed in me, even when I was a young guy. Not many specific memories in my head (I do remember mowing his lawn) but he nearly always seeked me out for a hand shake and a word.

cwinwc said...

Lost my Dad in 88 as well and as you said, one of the main reasons I wish he was still here is to have had the pleasure of seeing him enjoying his Grandson.
God Bless.

Thurman8er said...

Beth, usually he would follow that up with "Now I'm just trying to figure out how all those people died in alphabetical order." Never without a zinger of two, my dad.

I miss him every time I open the Word.

Blog Archive