Monday, December 26, 2005

Christmas was nice. It really felt like the day was endless...that's not a bad thing...but endless, none-the-less.

Woke up at 4:00 am (as I'm sure many people did), not because I had little kids waiting for Santa (which, by the way, I miss very much), but because I needed to be ready in case my big teenagers wanted to at least check out their stockings before church. (which they did).

I am at church by 7:00 on Sunday mornings, to get ready for the Praise Team which arrives by 7:30.

Church was over...headed to our house where Lex made waffles for my brother and wife and son, my family, my big brother and his daughter, and my mom. Fun...

It impressed me how patient my nephew was. There stood the tree with lots of presents, but Uncle Lex's waffles were what he wanted. (actually, he ate more waffle than I did! He was a hungry boy!)

We opened presents, enjoyed each other, and then split to different locations for a couple of hours until time to meet up at my Mom's house for dinner. Had a wonderful dinner and then back home to crash. Long day...but great day.

Church was wonderful. Lots of energy, enthusiasm, excitement. We had people bring "gifts" for the Children's Ministries and then had the kiddos gather them and bring them to the stage where the ministry leaders were waiting to thank and love on them. It was so sweet.

Steven did a good job...as always. It was good to be together.

My favorite part of this Christmas, though, was Friday night. Lex and I had taken the kids shopping so they could by gifts for the family. Every year, Ashley and Avery put their own money together and buy things for Grandma's, Uncles, Aunts, Cousins, Lex and I, and each other.

Avery told me he wanted to get Ashley something "special" this year. (Avery tends to be kind of thrifty...very calculating with his money.) Avery is a saver. He tithes, saves, and spends wisely. I'm very proud of him for this.

So, when he said something "special", I didn't know what that meant. We talked, talked, talked, and I just wasn't getting it. Actually, he wasn't saying much. Until finally, I asked him..."what are you wanting to spend on her?" His answer shocked me.

I told him he didn't need to spend that much on her. Not necessary. He could find great things for far less than what he was talking about. Finally, he looked me square in the eye and said, "Mom, I like Ashley. And this is her last year at home."

YIKES! Did he have to remind me? So, on to Macy's we went where he found her the cutest, coolest, most beloved COACH Purse you've ever seen. (Those of you who know what that is, please comment.)

She saved his gift to open last. It's like she knew somehow he had done something special. When she opened it, not only did she gasp, but so did my niece, my sister-in-law, and, of course, I was crying a bit.

Avery loved the reaction from everybody. "Yes! I did good!", he said.

He did great.

The sweetest moment was the hug between them.

They are going to miss each other.

2 comments:

Thurman8er said...

I gasped when Lisa told me how much HER Coach purse cost. And it's a fake!

That was probably my favorite moment from Sunday morning. That and all the talk about Sapphora. Sheesh.

~Jodi~ said...

awww that is sweet! Remarkable i'd say for a brother to want to spend that much on his sister like that and a Coach purse none the less!
What an awesome thing and a memory she will forever remember probably not even for the gift so much but of what it means to her! that's so awesome that they are so close! Makes me miss my lil brother!
thanks for sharing!
Blessings,
Jodi

Blog Archive