Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Wednesday...
Almost half-way through this exciting nerve filled week.

People are so sweet..."are you doing o.k., Sandra?" "Are you getting nervous, Sandra?" They have a genuine concern for the health of my spirit and mind. The great news is, I'm doing fine. Not perfect...a few panics every once in a while, but really fine.

It's fun to grow old enough to see actual spiritual growth in yourself. To know, without a doubt that a few years ago, you'd be a basket case the week before a musical. But not this year. Each year gets better. I'm actually excited...can hardly wait for the moment we get to present this message. Prayerful for those in attendance, hopeful that a message will pierce through someone's calloused heart, confident that God/Jesus/Spirit will not be just a quiet presence in the corner, but an obvious element to the evening.

I had a gentleman from the congregation call me today and ask if he brings a basket full of ingredients for a Christmas dinner and a Target gift card, will I please deliver it to a family he knows is struggling. I cried. (it really doesn't take much...and, he didn't know I cried).

The family he wants to deliver to is a great family. They come faithfully...Dad sings on the praise team often, but recently has had to step out of the music ministry because he's working nights and just isn't able to handle that with rehearsals. He can barely get himself to church because of exhaustion. He was recently laid off from that job because it was seasonal, so now he's been without work at all for a couple of weeks.

There are so many people who struggle in so many different ways, and this time of year, the struggles seem to be magnified. It's difficult to digest sometimes, and we feel overwhelmed at the grief, depression, sadness, and pain people are feeling. But, for one guy to do one thing for one family is exactly what should be done. I tend to stand around and pace and say "I can't fix it all", but one person reaching out to one person takes care of one need if even for a day or two.

Here's to hoping and praying God will show you just one need this week that needs your attention. One thing you can do to make a tiny difference in someone's heart. One little gift that will lift their spirits and help them see the presence of God in their life.

Blessings to you all.

2 comments:

cwinwc said...

“It's fun to grow old enough to see actual spiritual growth in yourself.” Interesting thought Sandra. As I think about my own status in this area, I think I can agree with your conclusion. I certainly have room to grow but I can see how at times, I have a little more self-control and patience than I had in the past. Yes, it is “fun” to conclude I’ve grown some in the past few years.
I have a ways to go.
Will certainly never get to the point where I’ve arrived.
But I’m having “fun” on the journey.
Good thoughts Sandra. May God bless and use you through the musical you’re performing. I know He will.
yrmiempg (miles per gallon of the new yrmie)

Brady said...

I know the presentation will go well, and that you will hang in there through all the pressure, and God will do good.

Blog Archive