Tuesday, November 01, 2005

I typically don't take a specific day off. Sometimes I stay home on Friday, sometimes Thursday is a better day for me to be off. But usually, I work 6-7 days per week. I'm not bragging about that, in fact, I think it's a flaw.

Sometimes it's because to be home means I need to clean and I'd rather be at work than home cleaning. Sometimes, I just feel like I need to "be around" for whatever reason at church, and usually, I see at some point in my day I was right about that.

Yesterday, I stayed home. I cleaned, I scrubbed, I changed sheets, I did laundry, I put a roast and potatoes in the crock pot, I raised a mirror in my kids bathroom so my 6'+ children don't have to bend to see the tops of their heads, I made pumpkin orange rice krispy squares, (in honor of Halloween, of course). I was a domestic goddess!

My family walked in the house and the happiest looks came over their faces. They saw the house had been cleaned, they smelled dinner cooking, and they felt the peace that comes from a happy, organized home. Who wouldn't like that?

I still love walking into my Mom's home (which happens to be the house I grew up in), and smell something cooking. (Especially if it's a roast dinner). My mom is truly one of the best homemakers I've ever seen. There is a peace about her home because she's organized and clean and loves the tasks that make her house a home.

What are some of your childhood memories that bring up wonderful feelings? Smells, traditions, holidays?

Happy Tuesday! Blessings on you for an organized, productive, spirit filled week.

4 comments:

cwinwc said...

My Mom wasn't the greatest cook in the world but her "gift" was in the area of a clean home! She was "Felix" (from the odd couple) before being "Felix" was cool. She worked outside the home and still had the energy (a re-occurring theme with me today) to vacuum every day.
During the holidays I always looked forward to my “Maw-maw’s” (southern for Grandmother) chocolate coca-cola cake! If you are a chocolate lover this recipe is a must. The Lord blessed me with a wonderful wife who can make the best coca-cola cake. One of the early signs of my Maw-maw’s deteriorating health was when she made a coca-cola cake and it tasted horrible.

Our home during the holidays is filled by the smells from my wife’s cooking. Such delicacies as prime rib stuffed with garlic, toll-house chocolate cookies, sugar cookies, coca-cola cake, and sweet potato casserole produce the many smells that say family (as well as calories) to me.
zurxvaz (prescribed for those addicted to coca-cola cake)

Generous Kitchen said...

I would love that coca-cola cake recipe! It's a little after 1 in the afternoon and I haven't eaten yet today (another very bad habit of mine)...your comments have me drooling!

Brady said...

Dear domestic goddess: Glad the house got clean and good smells were waiting for the others. My goddess is back and boy, does the house ever smell good. keyvqlcc

cwinwc said...

Sandra - I'll ask my lovely wife for the Coca-cola cake recipe. You can do it with or without nuts. I'm a restorationist when it comes to my chocalate so I prefer the 1st century "no-nuts" style. I'll get Barb to tell what nuts she would use if her husband wasn't one himself.
airuzove (doctrinal error correction - air-u-zove)

Blog Archive