Friday, October 28, 2005

Our son was at work, Ashley gets out of school at 5:00, and had a ton of homework to do. Lex and I were scheduled to go to some friends house and see/pray over their new baby. So, we picked up Ash from school and headed to McDonald's for a quick dinner.

For all you nutritionists out there, don't bother writing or calling to tell me I failed in the 'health' portion of taking care of my family last night...I'm aware McDonald's doesn't rank up there with the most wholesome and nutritious place we could have gone!

Anyway, we also needed to make a quick stop at Target for some necessary items before taking Ashley home and heading to our friends house. In other words, we were on kind of a tight schedule...

We finished our happy meals and started out the door when my husband handed me the keys and said, "you and Ash head over to Target, I'll be there in a few minutes."

It is just across the parking lot, and he could easily walk to us, but why?

"What are you doing?" I asked

"nothing...just go, I'll be there in a minute."

If any of you know me, you know there is no way in the world I'm going to "just go" without an adequate explanation.

"Why, Lex? Are you o.k.? What are you doing?"

He finally answered me in a slightly disgusted tone..."I have to buy some dinner."

I was totally confused...he had just eaten, it was hours before our son would be home so it wasn't for him. He finally tilted his head over to the corner of the McDonalds and there was a guy going through the discards and garbage that others had left behind, hoping to find a bite to eat.

I had seen this guy hunched down against the wall sleeping when we had first walked in.

"Oh...o.k." his dense wife finally got it.

Ashley and I walked out to the car and she asked, "What's Daddy doing?"

What a pleasure it is to let your children see the true heart of their Dad. What an honor it is to be with a man who not only wanted to buy the guy some dinner, but really didn't want me to even know what he was doing.

We pulled around to the front of the McDonald's and waited for Lex.

He came out and said that the guy had a hard time accepting the meal, but finally took it and as Lex walked away, said, "Hey, man, thanks" and shook Lex's hand.

The guy looked over to a lady who was watching the whole thing and said,
"See, there is a God!"

I'm so grateful Lex didn't stick to the schedule.

2 comments:

Thurman8er said...

Lex rocks.

cwinwc said...

As my buddies and I will often say on the first tee when one of us tees off, "You da man!"
Thanks for reminding me about slowing down so I can join God in His work. I'm glad your child got to witness such an act of service.
nheqzaq (first version of "shalom" but was too hard to say)

Blog Archive