Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Most of you know my husband sells custom choppers...Motorcycles.

It started as a part time job, just to make the money stretch a little more at the end of the month. He goes to work at his "real job" at 4:30 am and gets home about 2:30 pm. He then changes into his "motor cycle selling outfit" (it's similar to a Super Hero changing into his tights and cape), and works the afternoon, some evenings, and every weekend at "the shop".

He decided when he took this, he would call the afternoon job "the shop" and the day job "work". That tells you how he feels about his two employments...one is really just work, the other is a place to go and hang out with people who love the same things you love. He just happens to make money while doing it.

I've tried to get into this new love of his. After all, it is taking him away from me quite often, so I thought I should get to know this mistress, the motor cycle.

I've been to rock and roll nights at the shop, I've met many of his customers, I've flipped through his magazines when no one is looking just to try to get some of the terminology down, (he thinks it's sexy when I "talk chopper"), I've even been to a biker bar. (It's not as bad as it sounds, Mom).

I've noticed something...it's much like church.

It's a bunch of people who have found a common love and like being together. They have a place where they fit in - feel included.

Lex loves to introduce me to these folks.

They always politely and gently take my hand, even though some of them could crush my bones with a single grip. They kind of bow their heads and quietly say, "It's so nice to meet you...I love your husband." (really, almost every time those words or some similar come out of their mouth) When/if they cuss, they quickly look over at me and say, "Oh, excuse me..."

Now, not all these guys are the typical biker kind of person. Some are bankers, many are policemen, firemen, and there are quite a few attorney's riding around dressed up like something different than what they portray in the courtroom.

I think it's interesting how we like to take on other personalities. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it...unless...

As we've been studying through this discipleship series, it's become more apparent than ever that your evangelism to the world has nothing to do with whether or not you behaved in church...or even if you went this week. It has everything to do with who you are all the time. Our life is a representation of who we serve. Our witness is what we are deep down.

Last night I accompanied my husband and six big chopper dudes to a High School varsity volley ball game. It was the "senior" game for the girls. When the announcer introduced the team, the Sophomore and Junior girls ran in like usual, but, when it came time for the Senior introductions, they came riding in on the backs of the choppers. (I know you're not supposed to wear heels on a gym floor, but they never said anything about not riding motorcycles on it!) It was loud and exciting and something those girls (and the horrified parents) will never forget.

It was fun to watch everybody get so excited and I must say, I was really proud to be with the guy in charge. Every person he talked to hugged him. The girls, the parents, the chopper dudes...every person.

It's a great example of being in the world but not of it. Lex mingles and talks with many different people. Different backgrounds, different financial status, different morals, and different goals. But, Lex is the same all the time. People not only appreciate it, they admire it.

I'm more comfortable in church than I am in a Biker Bar...but honestly, if Jesus were walking in the flesh among us today, where would he hang out?

Happy Wednesday!

5 comments:

Thurman8er said...

Biker bars, nightclubs, gay pride parades...all the places we would be horrified if our own kids. That's where Jesus would go. And I think he'd get a lot of hugs too.

Wouldn't THAT be nice. For people to come to us and say, "I just love your Lord."

cwinwc said...

Although it's not the same as hanging out with Bikers, I've often looked at my time in Little League and now the High School with my son as the same kind of ministry opportunity as Lex has going with his "chopper business."
May God continue to bless him, you, and your family.
I haven't forgotten about the coca-cola cake recipe. I'll try to have it for you by tomorrow.
svhpmhrt (secret ingredient for coca cola cake)

cwinwc said...

Hi Sandra.
Here's the southern style "Coca-cola cake" recipe as promised.
Enjoy.
Coca Cola Cake
2c plain flour, unsifted
2c sugar
2 sticks butter
1/4 tsp.salt
2 Tbsp. cocoa
1c Coke (the drinking kind)
1/2 c buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c mini marshmallows
Sift flour and sugar in bowl. Heat butter,coke, and cocoa to boiling; pour over flour and sugar. Add milk, soda, salt, eggs, and vanilla; mix. Add marshmallows last. Bake at 325 for 30 to 35 minutes.
Icing:
1 stick butter
1 Tbsp. cocoa
1/3 c Coke (again - the drinking kind)
1 tsp. vanilla
1c chopped nuts (this is optional)
Heat to boiling butter, cocoa, and coke; pour over 1 box powdered sugar. Add vanilla and (optional)nuts, mix well. Pour over cake while hot.

Remember to say a few "Y'alls" when you enjoy this southern dish.
tblpbut (term given to one with a posteria that looks like a table)

Brady said...

We're waiting for the picture of the biker babe and her honey. Really.

Jesus was in both places: the synagogues (as was his custom) and the sinners' table. That's good.

Generous Kitchen said...

Thanks for the recipe! My poor husband is trying to get back on the Adkins Diet...I'm opposed to it, but it works for him. Anyway, he might have to wait until after this southern delight is made before he gets too serious about his diet!

Blog Archive