Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Fresno State vs. USC game was set to come on our T.V. in about 2 hours. Lex's goal was to finish work at 5:00 and get home in time to have some dinner and be comfortably in his chair for the 7:15 kick off...

My cell phone rings, it's Hobbytown which is where Avery works. So, I pick up my phone and say "Hey sugar, what's up."

It's silent on the other end for far too long. "Hello?" I say again.

"oh, hey, is this Avery's Mom?"

My stomach dropped. I knew something was not quite right. It wasn't Avery calling me.

"This is Justin from Hobbytown" (Avery's boss)

"Yes...Hey Justin. What's up?"

"Well, first I just want to say it's not too bad...I mean, Avery's going to be o.k....I mean, he is o.k."

YIKES...JUST TELL ME! I wanted to scream, but didn't.

It seems my son had a bit of a tangle with the electric drill. The flat head drill ended up in his thumb...going through the nail and causing enough pain to actually turn my son's face green with pain. That, according to his boss, was the scariest part. Seeing somebody's face actually have a green color to it because it hurt so bad.

I asked to talk to him and was glad to hear his sweet voice. I told him Dad was just now leaving work and I'd send him to get him right away. He was going to have to go to emergency and get a tetanus shot. It was 5:00 and Avery typically doesn't get off until 7:30...so he turns to his boss and says, "Is it o.k. if I get off early?"

What a goofball! You just had an electric drill go through your thumb! Of course you can go home!

I called Lex, explained the situation and he took off right away to get him. It should have taken him about 15 minutes to get there...it took him 6. I don't even want to know how fast he was driving!

The nurse asked Avery on a scale of 1 to 10, how bad is the pain. He told her about a 4.83. If you know Avery, you know he really meant that. He told me later, "well, Mom, it wasn't a 5 but it was definitely worse than a 4."

They sat there for about 4 hours. Finally, he got in to get his shot and they sent him on his way.

Lex called and said they were finally on their way home and they were starving. That was good to hear.

Warmed up their dinner just in time for them to sit down and watch the last quarter of the game.

There are some things more important than any thing else. Your kids are up there in the top slots...

3 comments:

Wendy Power said...

Ooof! I read that to Rick, thinking he'd cringe with me, but instead he said that he'd done that once, but it was a Phillips head, with metal shavings on it. He says that as it grows out he'll want to keep it covered because the nail will eventually split. I still say Ooof! What a brave guy!

Brady said...

When in emergency, always say 9.83, and don't smile. Father-in-law with cancer in a disc said 6.0 and he had to wait 5 hours.

Thurman8er said...

And the little bugger was showing everyone he could find on Sunday morning. Gross!

Us guys revel in past pain.

Blog Archive