Friday, April 03, 2009

New Phone...

Lex's phone died...finally.

You literally couldn't even see the screen any longer. He needs a phone for a few reasons.

First, he checks in with work, or work checks in with him, often when out on rural routes. He needs a way to contact someone in case some crazy mountain animal, (or person) goes bonkers on him.

Second, he is working with the Youth at church, as I've mentioned before and we all know kids communicate through texting and IM and email lots more than eye to eye conversation.

And finally, what if I need him? (I think that's really the most important question here!)

So, we go to the Verizon place and he looks at these Blackberry-need-to-have-an-Engineering-Degree-to-be-able-to-understand-Phone. Wow, look at this thing. You can literally stay in touch with the world through this thing. Your calendar, your email, your phone calls, your bills, your alarm, your...well, the list goes on and on.

He was working it all out with the "guy" when the guy says to me, "You know your contract is up, too, and it's 'buy one get one free' right now".

Oh no...no no no...I say emphatically. I love my little chocolate phone (it's not really chocolate, it's just what they named it, silly!) and I don't need a new phone.

"You can actually SAVE money if you get one, too", he continues.

It seems that since my plan/contract was up also, and I'm the "main line" for our family plan (anybody surprised by that?), I also get not only a $70 mail in rebate, but a $50 off immediately. Good grief! All that can be applied to Lex's purchase since mine is "free" (except for tax) with the purchase of his.

O.K.

So I am in the Dr office this morning and realize that I have this silly phone with me that beeps and rings constantly because I'm always getting a call, a text, or an email and it lets me know when it happens. I don't know how to silence this thing. I barely know which button to push to just answer a call.

I look around and there at my rescue is a young man also waiting who looks about 20-ish and what is he doing? Well he's texting on his Blackberry, of course!

"Excuse me", I say politely. "Is there any way you could show me how to silence this or put it on vibrate? I just got it and don't know how to use it."

He sweetly laughs a little and says, "Yeah...I had to help my mom with hers, too. She still can't work it!"

YIKES. O.k. I could have saved you a lot of time and simply said one thing, which is the point of this blog today...

I'M SO OLD!!!

Blessings!

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh that is too funny! Layne and I renew our phones together and I tend to watch and get what she gets (of course, it's all out of MY pocket!) so she can figure it out and give me the condensed version. :) Enjoy your phone!

Stoogelover said...

Our contract expired months ago and this is exactly why we've not picked out a new phone. I just want to make and receive phone calls. Nothing more. The phones these days are just too complicated and sophisticated for this old guy. Do I have to give up my man card for that last sentence?

Greg England

Thurman8er said...

Well...not SO old. Just, y'know, older.

stephruns said...

but does it slice and dice?

Brady said...

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. We are often older than the Pepperdine students' parents. Some even call us Mr. and Mrs.