Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Broken Hearts

One of the most beautiful things about ministry is you get to share with people at some of their most intimate moments...moments when God is absolutely present and working and in the midst of creating and recreating their hearts.

Sometimes, though, as we take the good with the bad, you are also present as you watch their hearts break. Sadness, pain, illness, death, financial loss, loss of a child, loss of a friend, loss of direction...the list goes on and on.

It seems that my heart can't help but break along with theirs...and I don't think there's a cure for that. I told my husband recently..."I think I"m just gonna go get a job somewhere else so I won't care as much and it won't hurt as much." He laughed at me and reminded me I'm the person who engages anyone in conversation regarding how they are doing that day...the guy behind the Starbucks window, the grocery clerk, etc. So, it won't do me any good to leave ministry, because as it should be, ministry is who we are...not what we do.

Whether you get a paycheck from the church or somewhere else, God expects us to care like he cares. See people like he sees them and hear things from His perspective.

So, I guess our hearts are going to hurt every once in a while...but ohhhhhhh....what a day that will be when all the tears are wiped away and our sorrows are gone forever.

I'll look forward to seeing you there...

Blessings, friend.


2 comments:

stephruns said...

when we all get together,
What a day of rejoicing that will be!

cwinwc said...

No more sad times, departures, moving away, illness, and death.