Wednesday, November 01, 2006

"Graduate Services"

I walked into the "Graduate Services" office and told them who I was and that I was there to pick up my son's Class Ring. This was my second visit to this office...last year, to pick up my daughter's, was, of course, my first.

She asked what school he was from and then disappeared to the back room and quickly came back with a little box. As she opened the box, I gasped out loud...

"Oh my goodness...that can't possibly be my son's ring...that ring looks like it would fit a man! This boy is my baby." (I can't really believe I said those words...but it was too late.)

She looked at me with an understanding expression and said,
"Is this your first or your last one?"

"My last" I choked out.

I couldn't help it. The tears just came out silently.

"The ring is beautiful...he's going to love it. Thank you."

As I tried to write out the check, the tears kept getting in the way. I really just needed to get out of there. For some reason, the whole thing surprised me. It was just a quick stop I was making to finish up a day full of errands. I had no intention of feeling any sort of way...it totally shocked me and snuck up on me.

Then, she broke the ice and said..."Weren't you in here last year?"

I laughed remembering that I had the same reaction last year..."Yes, I was the nutty Mom in here crying last year when I picked up my daughter's ring."

"So, she was your first?"

"Yes...but truthfully, I think I could have had 15 and I would probably have the same reaction 15 times...It's the transition, the step, the slipping away of childhood with the onset of adulthood that makes the lump in my throat stick."

She smiled politely and told me if he ever has any problems, there is a life time warranty on the ring.

I handed over the check and slipped the ring in my purse.

Last night, I gave him his ring...and what do you know...that huge man sized ring fit him perfectly.

He loved it.

Blessings.

3 comments:

Brady said...

Did Greg mention grandchildren?

So how much are those rings going for now-a-days? I remember getting mine. It was fun to have and made me feel a little bit more grown up.

Aren't you glad the lady remembered you?

cwinwc said...

Hang in there "Mom" and save some tissue for me next year.

Thurman8er said...

My siblings...are not OLD enough...to have GRANDCHILDREN!

Blog Archive