Friday, November 10, 2006

Ready the Room!

If asked what I did today, I will answer,
"I prepared my daughter's room for her visit."

Ashley left, as you all know, in August to attend ACU.

There have been sad moments, but for the most part, my heart has been full of joy and pride and gratefulness for the success she has found in her new environment.

I have, however, found it difficult to be in her room. She did a pretty good job of cleaning it out before she left. That may have been what was difficult. She went through all her "stuff" and got rid of bags and bags of clutter. Youth and adolescent clutter. I kept thinking I'd go in there and make the bed she stripped, maybe move the dresser and clean behind it, possibly dust and spruce up the curtains. To this point, however, that hasn't happened.

I've found it very convenient to just walk on by. I really couldn't even step in there. Too sad for me.

But today, I got an email from her saying "only 11 more days until I'm home!"

Today, I stepped in the room. Straightened curtains, ironed pillow cases so they'll be super fresh for her, moved the dresser (oh my!) to clean behind it, and prepared her room for a visit.

I can't tell you the pure joy in doing those tasks. The sheer excitement of preparing the room for her was so sweet.

It made me think about Jesus going to prepare a place for me...for you. I wonder if He feels that same excitement as he "prepares" our rooms for our return to Him. I wonder if there are special touches in mine meant just for me. I wonder if His heart swells to think about me returning to spend eternity with Him. I'm human...He's God...so I imagine I really can't know completely how He feels.

But today, I began preparations to receive my baby girl home...
Just as He prepares to receive us home...

Sweet thoughts...both of them.

2 comments:

Brady said...

You will have fun. And you'll enjoy the clutter coming back to roost…

Thurman8er said...

Hey, did you find any of my books behind that dresser?

My word verification...I kid you not: ZIONS

That's just weird.

Blog Archive