Friday, November 17, 2006

Every year, about this time, I have a day when I find myself paralyzed with the fear that I won't get every thing done.

I won't be able to pull off all the details of the Christmas Musical (which happens to be beautiful this year in so many ways), ZOE Fresno is right around the corner, (have I done all I can do to get more people here?), and then there is the normal things regarding this season that bring some anxiety. (Gifts, shopping, finances, house decorating, tree decorating, and so on and so on.)

Yesterday was my day to feel like there's absolutely no way I am going to be able to handle each thing in the way I want to handle it...which is flawless and extraordinarily.

So, I told the boys when they rolled in last night..."no dinner, we're going out."

We went to one of my favorite Mexican food places and they seated us in a room with no one else. For me, this was wonderful. However, my little slice of heaven only lasted a few seconds as the waitress comes up to our table, slams her hands down as she leans in and says, "Oh My! Quick, hurry up and order, they're about to SLAM me!"

She then spends the rest of our time there telling us all she has to do, how she works too many nights, (she's only supposed to work 2-3 nights and she's working 5-6), she needed to make cupcakes for her sons class because they decided at the last minute to have a party, she had made cupcakes for her daughters class just the night before, she's in the middle of cleaning the house to prepare for the holiday decorating, how she LOVES, LOVES, LOVES, LOVES, LOVES Christmas, and how cute her kids are, which she then produced pictures of them from her apron.

After taking our order, we had this bus boy who was actually TOO attentive. Seriously, every minute he walked by and asked if we were o.k., did we need refills, more chips, salsa, now do we want guacamole?

Needless to say, this time that was supposed to relax my heart, made me even more crazy. It became so bad, it was comical. Avery said he had a head ache and Lex was just trying to get us 0ut of there without me losing it.

This is also the time of year I begin sleeping rather poorly. I fall to sleep easily, but the dreams that come are amazingly ridiculous! And they don't subside until about February. I know this because it happens every year. I've learned to accept it.

So, today, I'm checking my email and there it was...the scripture of the day...

Jeremiah 17:7-8
But blessed are those who trust in the Lord and have made the Lord their hope and confidence. They are like trees planted along the riverbank.

Aahhh...thank you, Lord.

I knew that, but thank you for giving me that "ice water in the face" moment. You see, every year, I feel the same, and every year, He does something to remind me to relax and enjoy Him. Because as much as I would like to believe I'm in control of all those little details, it's such a relief when I wake up my stubborn self and remember it's all in His hands...

Maybe the waitress at my favorite Mexican restaurant needs to hear this...


4 comments:

Thurman8er said...

That's how I feel every week I preach. Almost every day is a "How am I going to get everything done?" day. But guess what?

It always happens.

It will for you too, dear sister. I'm looking forward to next week, for time off, and to get into that musical.

cwinwc said...

Sandra, you and my wife have a lot in common in this department. She (in my estimation) does the work of 3 deacons and elder while teaching kindergarten and putting up with my son and me.

May God bless both of you. Thank you for all that you do and may you find some time to rest.

Brady said...

He is our hope and our confidence, isn't he?

How often I forget…

Anonymous said...

God is in control of everything and He also puts people in your path to USE when you start feeling like this. Trust me, I know!

USE those people so you don't have those sour milk dreams. YUCK! Love you!

Blog Archive