Friday, January 06, 2006

There are a couple of reasons I love this picture...

First, it's taken at Pismo. We love going to Pismo. It's a place we all get together to laugh, play, eat, read, sleep, enjoy each other.

This is the balcony of the condo we stay in for the week we are there. This is where I can get my heart rate to slow down and my breathing to deepen.

I love the way the air smells. I love the pier in the background. I love hearing the waves crash on the sand. I love watching people play on the sand. But above all, I love those two boys in the picture. That is my son and my nephew.

I love the way Steven (my brother) asked me not to name my son James because he hoped to have a son one day and wanted to name him after our Dad. So, Avery's middle name is James, and eventually, there was another James Thurman.

I love the way the big one is gently taking care of the little one. I love the way the little one is calm and trusting, knowing the big one is there if he should need anything.

You see, Avery stepped out there because James stepped on the railing. It made Avery nervous to see him stand there without someone to catch him if he were to slip. We know James probably couldn't have slipped under or through those railings, but Avery wasn't positive and wanted to be there just in case.

I love the massiveness of God. I love the magnitude of His amazing creation. I love the overwhelming greatness of God as seen in the ocean, the mountains, the desert, and on and on.

But, I also love the deep, quiet, gentle bigness of my God.

We all have tough times.

Cars crash through our kitchens.
Children prepare to leave home.
We struggle financially.
We battle difficult relationships.
We lose loved ones.
Marriages struggle.
We live far from those we love.

and on and on the list goes....

Know this...the next time you find yourself out on the railing, there is a big, quiet, gentle one right beside you...hanging out, loving you, guiding you, protecting you. Don't just know it in your head, feel His presence deep in your soul. He gave it all to keep you safe.

That's why I love this picture.




 Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

julie said...

Sandra, powerful!

Thurman8er said...

Aside from my own personal bias towards that beautiful picture...

...that's the best thing you've ever written.

I love your family. And I love you.

Brady said...

I have one of those kind of pictures in my study. It's Son 1 with his Fresno grandpa. It communicates love and protection.

Generous Kitchen said...

Brady...I think I've seen that picture. Is it a back view? Holding hands, I think, maybe up on one of the roads around the cabin? I remember looking at a picture like that at your folks house and thinking how very precious it was.

Brady said...

Yes, that's the one. I forgot we sent a copy to dad. It was one on our trip to national parks in Arizona and Utah, about 10 summers ago…

Much love from here…

Dan Dalzell said...

What encouraging words! And what a wonderful God we have!

Thanks for sharing your heart, Sandra.

cwinwc said...

When I walked into the restaurant (see today’s post) and was embraced by 50 of my brothers and sisters in Christ at a dear sister in Christ’s birthday party, I felt that presence. Great post. Love the picture. I miss my “little boy” who is now 15.

Blog Archive