Wednesday, January 04, 2006

I told you I would be a New Year's baker this year...and a New Year's baker I was!

Sunday was wonderful. Steve Thurman did a remarkable job speaking to the church...don't tell him I said this, but he is obviously growing and deepening and maturing. It's difficult when you've always been good, as he has, since a very young age. I think a lot is expected of you. But to see him grow in wisdom and gentleness and courage as he speaks is beautiful.

So, we expected a sleepy, late, sparse crowd. We had an on-time (for the most part), energetic, good crowd who came ready to worship together. God is amazing. Always the unexpected.

Then, after church, we ate quickly and headed home where I put together 12 baskets of goodies for friends we specifically wanted to thank or love on for various reasons. My kids had a choice, and they chose to come with Lex and I. In the Tahoe we piled with goodies spread out in the back...in the pouring-didn't-let-up-for-two-days rain.

We went from house to house...Lex would hop out, grab the goodies and schlep up in the puddles to the homes. He would hand off the goodies, tell them we loved them and Happy New Year, as the kids and I would wave from the dry, warm vehicle. It was beautiful. Every house had someone home...and Lex got a hug and a thank you from each place.

It was a blast. The puddles, the rain, the music, the conversation. It was good to take all those people little bites of our appreciation and love for what they've meant to us all year...but the best part...three hours in the car with my family, uninterrupted. It was our last year to have both kids at home. I appreciated every second of it.

6 comments:

cwinwc said...

You guys are the best source of ideas and traditions for the family.

We borrowed the "write what you're thankful for / guess who wrote it game" (stole this from one of Steve's blogs) for New Year's Eve. We had 16 folks over and we asked everyone to write either a New Year's Resolution or something they were thankful for in 05.

Great time. One of our Deacon's wives decided to be funny and throw everyone off the track by writing, “My resolution is to stop smoking crack cocaine to try and get through sermons.” Our preacher was in attendance. The bad thing was most folks thought it was something that I wrote! Now what does that say?

I’m going to tell my wife about your New Year’s baking / visits. Great idea.

Maybe she'll bake my favorite wwrkui cookies?

Thurman8er said...

I won't tell him you said it. Keep it to myself, I will.

Our house condition (read: lack thereof) kept us from baking this year. We're also holding off on the annual letter until things are done. Our Christmas letter may go out in March this year.

We love taking things to our neighbors. They are such great people anyway but really stepped up to the plate this year when we needed them so badly.

My wv is cmnsugi. Am I just really hungry or does that sound good to anyone else?

Generous Kitchen said...

Steve,
You and Lisa should be "celebrating Spring Training" bakers. You could take goodies to all your neighbors and those you love to remind them of the blessing of Baseball!

Just another thing God gave us for our enjoyment that wasn't necessary...

Generous Kitchen said...

sweet friend...
I will dare say those peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate were my best ever this year!

And, no, I didn't really intend to say that baseball wasn't necessary. Thank you for helping me see the light.

cwinwc said...

1. Peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate - necessary
2. Baseball - necessary
3. My blog family - very necessary
4. Kickers - #!**#!*!!

Thurman8er said...

I don't care so much about kickers but I'm still fairly @^(&$% about umpires.

Blog Archive