Wednesday, January 25, 2006

AP - Veggie burgers and tofu do not have strong health benefits, says a new heart association study on soy-based foods... Whew! What a relief! I'm waiting for the study that says that exercise really isn't that good for you and potatoes are life lengthening, particularly when topped with butter, cheese, sour cream, and bacon bits!


O.K. On to more serious matters. My sweet children come home today. They left with the ZOE group Sunday to check out Abilene Christian University for a few days. They were blessed to stay with Mike, Diane, and Chris Cope. They were shuttled around by Mike, Sally Gary, and Matt Maxwell. Amazing people. They walked the campus, checked out Mike Cope and Randy Harris' Bible class, listened in on a class taught by Sally Gary, and ate some great pizza with the Maxwell's and B.B.Q. from "Harold's". Never been there, but Avery said he was waiting for Bo and Luke Duke to come strolling in any minute. He loved it.


I'll be eager to hear what they thought about the school. Any Abilene Alum out there want to put in their "two cents" on this subject?


I can't say much about the Conference because it was truly overwhelming. Listening to Leonard Sweet, John York, and others talk about becoming a more missional church was invigorating, as well as convicting.

Teresa Newsom signed the songs we were singing again, and as always, put a new beauty to the song that you hadn't felt before. She is so gifted.


Lee Smith and Bill Barksdale work for days...literally days...to provide two of the most amazing dinners for the ZOE group...(and those of us working the conference). They feed about 70 people both nights in the most beautiful and delicious way you've ever seen. I don't know if there is a group that works harder and longer than that group to prepare, cook, and serve...and with smiles and joy! What a blessing they are to this church and to me personally.

We had people providing lunches, housing guests, making the foyer beautiful with fresh fruit and munchies and water, registering people, babysitting "ZOE kids", praying with and for folks, taking care of a "green room" for the ZOE group to get away to when needed, (complete with fruit, sodas, water, chocolate, nuts, couches, etc...), and on and on the list goes.

Of course, if you've read Stevens blog, he's told you how hard his wife, my sister-in-law, works. She's a maniac! She loves to work herself to death! She takes on anything that I don't need to handle and handles it beautifully. 4 years ago, she helped just because she was related...during that ZOE weekend, she discovered her "place"...her "gift". It was a beautiful discovery for her...she went from being Steven's wife, to having absolute value all on her own.

Now, it wouldn't matter if I was running the conference or someone else, she would be on the team.


I guess to wrap this up, I will say again how very thankful I am that soy isn't the miracle food (if you can call it that) that they once thought it was. One less thing I have to feel guilty about not doing!

But, even more than that, I am so grateful for this place...College Church. Not because we have it all together...goodness no! But because of the family that meets here. They are generous, hospitable, gracious, loving, accepting, and hard working. I'm so blessed to be part of them.

3 comments:

Thurman8er said...

I guess some people might think I'm being insincere when I say this, but if you REALLY know me then you know I'm not:

One of my favorite things about the ZOE weekend is that I am "Lisa's husband."

At least five different times this past weekend (including Leonard Sweet during his message), people said some variation of "Oh, you're LISA'S husband!" I love that. On two different occasions that was followed with "AND you're Sandra's brother???"

Because I'm up front as much as I am, Lisa has been "Steve's wife" plenty of times. It's just the opposite during ZOE.

By the way, I couldn't be prouder of either designation. And I'm so proud that Lisa works as hard as she does with such grace and kindness. Not everybody would want to deliver a coffee to somebody's hotel room or get up at 4:30 for yet another airport run. She doesn't mind because she works for HIM.

cwinwc said...

Was Teresa Newsom at the Zoe Conference in Nashville? If she was, I echo your adoration of her signing abilities! There was one song (it might have been "Amazing Grace") she signed that brought the Zoe folks to a standing "O."

I'm so glad that the Lord blessed you with such a powerful conference. A big southern "way to go" to all of you.

Brady said...

I love the way the weather changed at ACU.

Glad to know the bbq was great. Would have loved to have been there for all.

Much love from here...

Blog Archive