Tuesday, April 01, 2008

What Defines Us

I talk in great length about my family. My precious children, my sweet husband, my nephew, my friends...

I think, if you didn't know me personally, you would not know that I am also a Worship Minister for a place I love with all my heart.

I don't talk often about that for many reasons...

My work at the church has so many layers. I never want to complain or "air dirty laundry" on the world wide web. Much of what we know or hear or talk about is private. And, most weeks, I am so overwhelmed by the amazing task in front of me, I really can't even speak about it. To be given the opportunities I've been given, particularly as a woman, is so far beyond what I expected that I really don't have words to describe it.

Last Sunday, though, I was so proud of a moment...so blessed by a God driven plan...so amazed, again, that as hard as I "work", it is really the Spirit and God himself who unfolds the goodness for us to see.

There was a song, "Jesus, Let Us Come to Know You", and there was a girl. A beautiful, 5th grade, poised, humble, gifted young girl. The Worship Team "ooo-ed" and she sang:

Jesus, let us come to know you
Let us see you face to face
Touch us, hold us, use us, mold us
Only let us live in you.

Goodness...people were touched beyond measure. It wasn't her voice, although that was clear and beautiful. It wasn't her beautiful dress, although it was breathtakingly gorgeous. It wasn't even her age, although that, too, had a measure of sweetness that an adult couldn't have pulled off.

It was her heart. Her precious, humble, innocent heart. Her mother told her not to worry about the people. Just sing to God.

What we do is about the glory, the love, the exalting of God...not us.

She was perfect. She taught a sermon in one little song.

So, although you will hear me talk about my blessings as a wife and mother often, Sunday, I stood amazed, again at the wisdom and work of God. I felt honored, humbled, so grateful that I have the opportunity to serve Him in this capacity.

Blessings!

2 comments:

Julio_01 said...

Thank you so much Mrs. Hendersen (i think thats how its spelled) for giving my little sister the oppurtunity to sing and share her talent with the church. My family and I are all so very grateful and thankful for you and we always speak highly of you in our household. I cant even begin to express how proud i am to be Ivette's older brother. I just see her being a great woman of God and not being swayed of her opinionse in her years to come and it gives so much joy. Thank you for giving Ivette this great experience.

Blessings,
Julio Ibarra

Brady said...

Good post. Loved the above comment…