Thursday, April 03, 2008

Honoring God

I've been thinking a lot about my purpose...

I used to think my main purpose was to be a good mother. To raise my children to love and respect God as well as themselves.

When I was younger, (much younger) I thought maybe my purpose was to write and sing music that would bring people closer in relationship with Jesus Christ.

I've thought about my role in the church and how God-driven it has been, so, obviously (wink, wink) that must have been my purpose...to lead worship?

Have you seen the story that is all over the news? Oprah, Matt Lauer interviews, Internet...about the girls from Taylor University in a horrific accident. Their identity was switched, so for 5 weeks, one family thought their daughter was dead while all along was in a hospital bed. The family of the dead girl stood by the girl in the hospital for 24 hours a day for 5 weeks thinking that was their daughter/sister.

What is amazing about this story, is the love and mercy and godliness that exudes from both families. I watched them interviewed again last night on a taped Oprah show. I saw Oprah visibly shaken with the story, but more important, their shining hearts for Jesus. I heard Matt Lauer from the Today Show talk about this being absolutely the two nicest families he's ever met and how this story will never leave him. He talked about how their faith was evident and he will forever be affected by their story.

After watching this with Lex, I said that I hope and pray I never have to deal with such heartbreaking things. I can't imagine the pain and the suffering both these families have endured. But, look at the way the world is seeing the grace and mercy of Jesus Christ because of their suffering. Isn't that our purpose? To bring glory to God in all circumstances so that the world will see Him in us?

They were asked by Oprah about anger, resentment, possible legal action against those who mistakenly I.D.'d their daughters. The father of the living girl replied that because of the forgiveness he's been given through Jesus Christ, how can he turn around and be angry? And the other father when asked about his anger regarding losing his beautiful daughter replied that he didn't see it as loss...he just hasn't seen the whole picture, yet. They will be together in heaven.

Wow.
So, whatever my "job", or "title" or "stage of life", whether things run smooth or tragedy hits, my purpose is to bring glory to the Father so that the world will notice Him in me. Sounds simple. But it was a good light bulb moment for me.

Blessings

1 comment:

Brady said...

Thanks for the story. That's much better than the Oprah I heard today about the re-aligned male having his wife's baby because she couldn't get pregnant…