Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I had the pleasure, Saturday, of spending most of the day with my nephew, James.

It really was a special day, because, you see, even though I see him often, it is always with other people around.

James and I rarely get the chance to have a one-on-one day. In fact, I don't remember a time before that I had him without others with me.

His Dad brought him over and we had 1/2 a donut and watched a few minutes of some cartoons, which he had to explain to me. (Not exactly the same stuff on that my kids used to watch.)

Avery woke up about an hour earlier than necessary (he usually sleeps until the absolute final moment that allows him just enough time to get ready for school, work, church, etc...) so he could hang out with James for a few minutes before he went to work.


They blew bubbles, hosed off the sidewalk, and drove the remote control car. Very fun.

We took Avery to work, and then headed to Taco Bell. We ate and then headed home to get ready for the T-Ball game. Sunscreen, two shirts (James' request), a hat, our glove, our inhaler in case we stop breathing (!?), and we're off!

T-ball was...well...just plain funny.

Then we headed to pick up our cousin, Ashley, who had been at work all morning making coffee for people. James was excited to get to see Ashley because she makes him a drink with milk and bananas and chocalate and ice all blended up. He loves it!

Back to the house where it was nap time! Whew!

Throughout this day, I decided to teach James a scripture...so, I did what any self respecting Aunt would do. I told him that if he learned a memory verse while he was with me, I would take him to Target to get a Hot Wheels of his choice.

He worked all day on it...little by little...laughing, getting frustrated, being silly, working hard.

Finally, he said,
"John 3:16...God loves the world soooooo much, he gave us his only Son!...John 3:16"

Very cool.

I learned a few things Saturday...or maybe I was just reminded again. It's been a while since I was in charge of a 5 year old boy.

I learned that if you both get Nachos at Taco Bell, you can double dip your chips into the stuff they call cheese, because you have your own. But if you share a Nachos, you're not supposed to "double dip."

I learned that "Mommy lets me get Pepsi, but only once. After that's gone, I have to fill my cup with water."

I remembered that finding sticks and rocks in the parking lot is equal to buried treasure.

I remembered that spilling the bubbles and hosing them off is more fun than actually blowing through the little lame plastic circle stick they give you.

I remembered that you can sit, crouched in "catchers position" and watch a slug for minutes...I mean minutes, and never move.

I remembered that to look a child in the eye and tell them how very much you love them never gets old. And to hear it back is magical...

I remembered what it's like to be silly and make a child laugh a big deep down belly laugh.

And, I remembered how very precious it is to hear scripture from the lips of a child.

It was a very good day.


2 comments:

cwinwc said...

A good day and a day which made an indellible mark on a precious little boy. Boy I miss those days.

Thurman8er said...

All capped off on Sunday when I got to hear my boy tell me how much God loves the whole world. And I only cried a little.

We have a great family, don't we?

Blog Archive