Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Because there are so many things to blog about, so many things happening in the Henderson household, as well as the church household, I have hesitated blogging at all!

Here in a nutshell is what is going on:

*Ashley had her last concerts Monday, Thursday, and Friday of last week. I've been attending school concerts for many years, and last week, I watched kids whom I have been watching since Elementary school give their final performances for the parents. They were wonderful. And, yes, a few tears fell. (and not just mine, by the way!)

*Ashley turned down the Pepperdine Scholarship and Admission and decided to attend Abilene Christian University. As much as I would have loved to have her within arms reach in Malibu, I think, for her heart and future, she made a very wise decision. So, amidst final concerts, and Finals, and AP testing, and graduation thoughts, she's made a very prayerful and good decision regarding her future. I've very proud of her.

*Lex leaves today to work for ZOE at Pepperdine. He's never gone without me. I will miss him, but know he's doing something God has gifted him to do. I've said it before...there isn't a better sound guy with a heart for worship than Lex. He's a treasure.

*Avery leaves tomorrow for Alabama for the Launch with NASA. He and his team have been working overtime on the final preparations for their rocket. He's put some special things in this year that he's anxious (maybe a little stressed) to see if it produces the kind of launch he's hoping for. To say I'm proud of him is an understatement. He's quite intelligent...and very sweet.

*Our church just finished a process of communication that was, at best, interesting. There was a Steering Committee appointed to "poll" the church on different issues. Can you say "can of worms?" Anyway, a 50 page report came out Sunday with suggestions from the congregation regarding anything you could think of. Although there were some very thoughtful and enlightening responses, (very few), my favorite was to let the Worship Minister go (that would be me) because it's an unnecessary expense and use that money to take out a full page ad in the Saturday religion section of the paper inviting people to come to our church. My salary should cover the advertising costs.

Although some of the remarks hurt a bit, for the most part, I found the whole process and result amusing. It's a sign of growth for me. In the past I would have been devastated to think somebody didn't like me. That's o.k. God has a purpose for me and for now, it involves serving at the College Church. When that's over, He'll let me know. Don't let my comments steer you toward thinking it was only a negative report, there were many sweet and positive comments made regarding many things, I just found amusement with some of the other suggestions.

Hhmmm...seems like there's more, but for now, I can't think beyond what I've told you...so, enjoy your day bloggers...particularly those of you enjoying the sun and fellowship and rich teaching in Malibu!

3 comments:

Brady said...

Hi. Don't feel too bad. People would let me go too, but the money they'd save wouldn't be enough to pay for an ad.

So I'm safe for now.

Generous Kitchen said...

Brady, if people were required to put their names on their comments, I would have gone to that poor soul who thinks my salary would have paid for an ad in the paper every Saturday, and explain that he/she will need to do additional fund raising.

Brady said...

Comments WITHOUT names? Who's idea was that?

And you, YOU hang in there.

Blog Archive