Monday, February 27, 2006

It's been so long since I've "blogged", I don't know where to start...

I have a sister-in-law deeply involved with the Creative Memories (picture scrapbooking) industry. Her answer when asked "where do I start?" by those of us who have years and years of pictures to chronicle and sift through is..."start from today and work forward. Then, as you have time you can go back." This keeps you from being overwhelmed.

I'm going to take her advice here in the blogging world also. So, today, it's Monday. Lots has happened, but we'll start from today.

I have two days of work left before I take some time off. I'm looking forward to that time. I'm a "all-in" or "fold" kind of personality. If I'm in there, I'm working hard and expecting much. If I'm going to take time off, I have to absolutely unplug for a good length of time or there's no since in even taking the time.

I'm taking March off. I will still be responsible for putting together the worship order, working with the preachers, and preparing and providing the music for the Worship Team. I won't, however, be in the office during office hours. My orders will be put together at home, my conversations with the preachers will be by email, and I will run down on Saturdays to copy the music for them. That's o.k. It's not as "unplugged" as I'd like, but it will do for now.

Here are my hopes for the coming month. (do you understand the risk I'm taking in revealing my plans? What if I don't get it all done?)

* Back to the gym
* 4 closets cleaned out
* Paint one bathroom, an entry way, and a dining area
* Read, Read, Read
* Pray, Pray, Pray
* Write some music
* Spend focused time with my husband
* Mother my kids

I'm really looking forward to spending my energy in a different direction. We'll see what happens with all these "plans". Hopefully, on April 1, I'll feel like my time was well spent and what I did during March was valuable to my personal, spiritual, and physical well-being.

When I was a kid, I remember Sunday afternoon was the sacred nap time. My Mom worked very hard every other minute of the week...I loved Sunday mornings because she was up early browning a roast or baking a pie or something wonderful for our Sunday after church lunch. Then, after lunch and dish clean-up, Mom rested.

As kids, we knew if we were loud or somehow woke her up, it wouldn't be pretty. It was her time to rest. She worked hard...she deserved it.

Our lives are so hectic now. People scramble in different directions every minute of the day, every day of the week. We have no designated rest time. We need it.

I don't know how to change our crazy schedules, but for now, I'm looking forward to unplugging from here (work) and heading home to rest. Hopefully, I'll provide some peace and calm to my family in the process.

I'll be able to blog assuming Avery lets me use his computer! :)

I'll look forward to reading your blogs on a more regular basis...

Blessings to you all!


2 comments:

cwinwc said...

Enjoy the time “off.” Don’t schedule too many projects so that your time off ceases to be “off” time.

As my retired Father-in-law often says, “I might need to go back to work to get a break.”

Thurman8er said...

See? See? She uses poker terms too!

Blog Archive