Friday, February 03, 2006

For Ashley's birthday,we gave her George Strait tickets. I've decided that my kids have enough "stuff", so most of our gifts, especially the bigger ones, will be experiences of some kind. Relationships and experiences...good things in life.

I purchased these tickets online and wasn't able to get great seats, but she was excited anyway. She loves concerts...and country music. Actually, any music, just about. But she is a traditionalist in some ways and George Strait fits that mold.

The significance of the George Strait thing is this:

Ashley was a baby...about 6 weeks old. Lex had tickets to George Strait. I really didn't want to go. Please take someone else, I begged. I hated the thought of leaving Ashley with anybody and being gone from her for hours. It was a horrible thought. But, Lex continued to ask and finally persuaded me to leave her with my Mom and Dad and go enjoy the concert. There were many couples from the church going and he felt like I needed a night out. (Maybe he felt like we needed a night out.)

It was the longest concert of my life. I thought he would never stop playing. It was agonizing. I worried and fretted and wondered if she was o.k. The truth was, I learned from my Dad later, she cried off and on the whole time. Mom couldn't figure out what was wrong with her...thought maybe she was sick...Dad said to just wait. She just needed her Mom.

When we got back to Mom and Dad's house, I walked in and she was fussing...I picked her up and she stopped immediately. It was the most warm and wonderful feeling to hold that baby girl. Silly...I'd only been gone about 4-5 hours total, but it felt like an eternity.

So, tonight, to celebrate her 18th birthday, my baby will go hear George Strait. She's going with a friend of hers and although I'm sure it won't be quite as excruciating, I will miss her and be glad to see her when she gets back home.

Life is really a great big circle. Things come and go and come back again...what didn't matter before has great significance later.

I told that story, with shaky voice and a few tears, to the family present when she received the tickets. We all laughed (at me, I think) and cried a little to think this seemed like a few minutes ago, and yet, here stood this beautiful 18 year old young woman. I don't know how time can fly so quickly.

I'm still pushing for Fresno State!

2 comments:

Brady said...

Great gift, Sandra.

Good point Randy.

cwinwc said...

I can remember feeling the same about Steven when he was little. I almost despised events that would take us away from him. Time certainly does fly.

Blog Archive