Saturday, July 30, 2005

DONE!

The last doughie has been dipped lovingly into the melted chocolate and put in the freezer to rest until the long journey tomorrow. Every thing I wanted to do, I did.

I'm even very close to finishing the laundry. The final load will go in tonight after Avery gets home because the jean shorts he's wearing for work today is the only pair that isn't ripped or splattered with model paint or engine grease and he needs them for church tomorrow. I don't know about the rest of you with children, but there really is no sense in buying nice clothes for summer when in just a couple of weeks we'll be needing to stock up on school clothes. So, the poor boy has had to deal with one "good" pair of shorts and a couple of ratty pairs to kick around in.

We went to the memorial service this morning for Art Walters and, as expected, it was a wonderful morning with lots of people who came to voice their love for Art. He was a kind, gentle, wise man whom, I believe, helped College Church take the hard road of "change". He stayed steadfast and quietly firm in his beliefs and wasn't ever too good to admit he'd changed his mind/heart about certain matters. I remember one time in particular when we were struggling to find the path God was putting before us, we had morning staff prayer and he asked me to wait just a minute after the prayer was over. When everyone had left, he quietly said,

"I'm on your side. Keep up the good work."

This was an amazing relief, one, because he was an Elder at the time, and two, because he came from a long line of very conservative people that I assumed didn't take too kindly to the direction College was headed. (it taught me not to assume somebody's position without clarification from them). So, as a young person trying to find God's voice in all the mess (and a woman, at that!) he was a quiet strength beside me.

I hope, with all my heart, that as I get older, I always listen to God. The direction may not always be exactly what makes me most comfortable, but I want to listen and hear without a doubt the call of God.

I want to be supportive and wise in those situations. Hopefully, as we've developed this network through ZOE, and blogging, and other various relationships, we'll be able to count on each other for a voice that holds us accountable to God's direction...not our own agenda.

I don't know how much computer time I'll get at the coast. I'll try, but I remember last year having difficulty connecting to the network. Fortunately, I'll have Avery and Lex with me and if it can be done, they'll figure out a way.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow. My brother is speaking and I love listening to him. It's always a treat .

I'm always relieved when he gets through a sermon without any tidbits about our childhood! I have to admit, though, I'm a little on edge each time until he's finished! There's so much he could tell...and I'm helpless...can't even defend myself!

Blessings to each of you. May God fill you with an extra measure of His Spirit this week!



1 comment:

Thurman8er said...

Oh, and don't think I don't know it. Heh heh...evil chuckle...rubbing hands together.

Blog Archive