Friday, July 22, 2005

vacation

I think I might just see a vacation in my future.

I typically take the whole month of July off, but for one reason or another, I've been here all month. Actually, working harder and studying and praying for the direction maybe more than usual. I didn't have a happy heart about it at first. A little grumbling was going on...(I hate to admit it but it's true). But now that we're about to finish up July, I can look back and see what God has done in us and through us and for us. I would not have experienced the blessings that have been given here if I had been gone. So, for that I'm grateful.

I'm even happy I was there to experience the sweat rolling down my back and the backs of my knees last Sunday with everybody else. It's a family thing...

I guess it's kind of like camping. I'm not a big camper, in fact, I've never been camping (that I remember, anyway)...but don't people who camp like the idea that they're having to "rough it" for a while? And if you're with family or friends, doesn't that give you memories together that you wouldn't trade? That's what I've been told. You campers out there feel free to correct me if you would like. But I know I wouldn't trade the last month for anything. Even a vacation.

HOWEVER, I won't be in the office next week except for a meeting on Tuesday morning. I will be home cooking and baking and getting ready for our week at the beach. Then, the next week, I'll be enjoying some 60-75 degree weather instead of 100+ day after day!

One quick story...my family rents a condo at the beach...I mean on the beach. We walk out onto a deck and we are on the sand looking at the ocean. Beautiful, delicious, inspiring, awesome...

We've been doing this since I was young. So, my kids have grown up going each year and have slept on the floor (sleeping bags or air mattresses) in the room that Lex and I have. This year, however, it looked like there would be two empty beds that they could occupy. We told them, very excited for them that they were going to "graduate" to real beds. They both looked at each other and then at the same time said..."we kind of like being in with you and Dad. We like being on the floor all together. We like sleeping by the sliding glass door with the sound and smell and coolness of the ocean night. We will go in those beds if we have to, but we'd rather be in with you guys."

O.K. Maybe I'm crazy, but I really thought when my kids were teenagers, I might actually have to worry about them sneaking out. Maybe not even wanting to go with us to Pismo at all.

I was wrong. I really feel blessed often beyond what I deserve. I'm so grateful.

Let me leave you with something I've been studying on today. Have a great weekend, bloggers!

Psalm 19:13-14
Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me.
Then, will I be blameless, innocent of great transgression.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

No comments:

Blog Archive