Friday, June 03, 2005

I knew this day would come...

As silly as this sounds, I've actually thought about this day off and on since both kids started school. I knew it would bother me. I avoided thinking too deeply about it. But...here it is. The day I say...

I have a Junior and Senior in High School. UUGGGHHH!!

I was at the grocery store yesterday...it was the last day of school for Avery. The grocery clerk was talking about her kids. 5 and 7. "Do you have any kids?" she asked. "Yes...2 kids...they will be a Junior and Senior in High School."

"Yikes..."she said, "you don't look that old." "Thanks". (I think)

Why does this year bother me? Probably some who read this will understand, others will think I'm nuts, but this is my last year of normal parenthood with both my kids at home.

I know, I know...God just loans you these precious souls so you can raise them to honor and serve Him and their fellow man...they're really His to begin and end with. I know all that...

But you see, I adore them. I mean, I absolutely adore them. And deep in my heart is the beginning of an ache I don't know how I will survive. The ache of absence.

Say what you will. I'm silly...God will prepare me...blah, blah, blah. I know all that.

I also know I couldn't be more proud of those two people.
I'm honored to be their mother.

I'm going to ask/plead with God to slow down time...just for this one year.

2 comments:

julie said...

Sandra, my heart goes out to you. A few weeks ago we had senior Sunday at church and I was so emotional...I kept thinking about my daughter who will be a senior next year and how I only have one more year left. You would think that this is my first one to let go of...but it is not...I have two boys 20 and 22. I cried when I left my oldest son and then called the next day to apologize for losing it....he said that he expected it and then said, "Mom, it had to be done." Children are so precious and we put so much of ourselves into them that it is hard to live with that empty space in our hearts and homes when they leave...But it is so rewarding to talk to them as adults and see the wonderful people they are continually growing to be. Do hang in there and I do pray for you that the year goes by very slowly....take in every moment.
grace, Julie

Generous Kitchen said...

Thanks Julie...
Good to hear from you.
Blessings to you and your family.

Blog Archive