Monday, June 20, 2005

Grateful

My heart is particularly grateful this morning for a number of things...

It's such a wonderful feeling to be peaceful and content. I've not always experienced that feeling.

I struggled for many years feeling like I didn't have enough, hadn't achieved enough, wasn't smart or pretty or talented enough. Often afraid that if people really knew me, they would discover I was a fraud. What they saw on the outside was just a facade...an illusion. They would find I wasn't all I was trying to make them believe I was.

I think, unfortunately, the discovery of your own worth often comes with age...and I am sad to say, I'm beginning to experience the benefits of age. The good news is, there really is a benefit to growing older. The bad news is, I'm growing older.

So, this morning, here is what I'm grateful for.

I'm grateful for a husband that I've loved in a marriage that has lasted through very good and some bad times for 18 years...knowing we can say we love each other more today than yesterday...but not as much as tomorrow.

I'm grateful for a son who successfully celebrated his 16th birthday this weekend. When asked what he wanted to do for that milestone of a day his wish was to be at Grandma's house with family eating Bar-B-Que Hamburgers, Baked Beans, Hot Rod Fries (potato wedges baked with bacon and cheese melted on top!), Home Made Vanilla Ice Cream and a Triple Layer Chocolate Cake with Whip Cream Filling and Chocolate Fudge icing on top! It was a wonderful time as we all sat under a huge Mulberry Tree in my Mom's back yard eating and laughing and celebrating Avery's life.

I'm grateful for a daughter who is strong and sweet and compassionate and beautiful. Who when given the opportunity to go to a popular Graduation Party Saturday night, chose to be with family to celebrate her brother's birthday.

I'm grateful that our days have been cool and beautiful.

I'm grateful I can pay my bills.

I'm grateful I have an abundance of friends/family who love me.
I'm grateful there are so many people who love and encourage and guide my children.

But most of all, I'm grateful today that God loves me...that He wants above all to have a relationship with me...Me...such a sinner. That Jesus trusted and obeyed God so much so that it took Him to a horrible, humiliating death...for me. That we are left with the beautiful gift of the Holy Spirit...who guides and directs and shapes and molds us.

I am so grateful...

2 comments:

Brady said...

If you think you get more than you deserve, it puts joy in your heart. I read someone somewhere who said that's all true religion is: Gratefullness to the Father.

Glad you wrote today, Sandra.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

I'm thankful for YOU!

Blog Archive