Thursday, March 10, 2005

Thursday

There's really only one thing on my mind today...Eli Backowski.

Eli is a precious little almost 4 year old who fell out of a second story bedroom window yesterday onto the cement outside. His parents and grandparents are long time friends.

I saw Eli last night. A little somber but awake and watching a movie. His parents were exhausted...sad...helpless...worn out physically as well as mentally. All night I woke up and just prayed quickly for Eli. Matt and Crystal (Eli's parents) have today and tonight to just sit and wait. They are waiting to see if the brain is going to swell. Talking to Matt last night he kept focusing on his helplessness as a Dad. You want so badly to take care of everything...to fix it for your kids...he can't. He just has to sit and wait and hope and pray.

It brought me back to my own feelings as I send Avery out every day into a difficult situation at school. I realized that the only advice I can give Matt and Crystal is to let the Shepherd hold and heal his lamb. It is so evident that He already has...the fall itself was horrific and as Crystal said, "something cushioned his fall".

It amazes me to think about a God, a Shepherd, a Savior, a Spirit that is so tuned in to everything not only I do, but everyone else in this world. We have no idea how many times we are "cushioned" by a loving and protective God.

I saw Eli again this morning and was so happy to see a bright eyed little boy. He's sore and a little subdued from the morphine they've given him, but he's alert and so far, no swelling of the brain. God is good. The Shepherd is faithful to his flock.

2 comments:

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Prayers for that sweet family and Eli. Love your writing, sis!

Thurman8er said...

I'm glad you visited them. I'm wanting so much to see them all but haven't been able to. They're in my prayers all the time too. There's something about looking at YOUR "almost 4-year-old" and realizing just how fragile he really is.

Blog Archive