Friday, March 18, 2005

Friday's are wonderful days. There's something "party-ish" about Friday. It's the end of the regular work week (for those who work Monday - Friday) and the beginning of the weekend. Sometimes we work just as hard on the weekends, it's just a different kind of work. Maybe we clean or do laundry or work in the yard. We try to take a moment or two to 'rest' (whatever that means). We attempt to spend a little "talking time" with our kids...watch a movie together... maybe sit down together and eat a meal or two.

No two weekends are the same. I would love to know exactly what was going to happen. I would love to control the activity level so we're not quite as busy. I would love to lock the doors and close the blinds and keep my sweet family inside just for a day or two. To look at them and tell them how much I love them. To have time to nap and read and snack together.

I am hoping for the impossible. As much as I would love to stop time, I'm not that talented. And, if I insisted (Mom's can insist, you know) that everybody cancel all their plans and just stay home together, they would be unhappy. I have very good and sweet children (and husband) and they would obey but would resent the request, and our time together would be wasted.

I wonder if we sometimes view our "Sunday time with God" that way. Did He insist? Does He want us there with a heart of obedient resentment? Of course this raises the issue of our worship being a lifestyle instead of just an hour on Sunday, but nonetheless, do we wake up and think..."I sure wish I didn't have to go"

I want time with my children that they want to give me. I want to talk and listen and laugh and enjoy their hearts...their thoughts...their hopes and dreams. I want them to share with me because I'm important to them.

Enjoy your time with God this week.

No comments:

Blog Archive