Thursday, September 04, 2008

Shake Things Up!

Web Site Counter



Last night, rather late, son and I were watching some silly mindless t.v. while I was actually trying to go to sleep. He has a wonderful tradition/habit of waiting until I'm almost out and then jumping on the bed to chat.

Those of you who have children know, particularly when they get to the teenage years, it doesn't matter what time it is. If they are ready to talk, even if it's casual and mindless...you listen.

So, he has learned to talk to me while my eyes are closed. I'm not asleep. I'm just very close.

We made a deal, with my eyes closed, that he will accompany me to something I have to do Saturday morning, if I will accompany him to something he is doing later in the day. We talked about school, work, his sister, all with my eyes closed.

Then he said, "I think we need to shake things up around here!"

O.K. My eyes are now open. "What do you mean? What, exactly, do we need to shake up?"

He proceeded to tell me about all the things that he thinks we should do to get our house, our yard, our schedules, our dog, even our bodies in better shape! The list was endless...my mind was spinning. I just wanted to go to sleep, but this young person was challenging me to better things. How dare he?!

I have said this numerous times, but my children make me a better me. They have been such a tremendous blessing in my life and I can't imagine who I would have been without them.

So, in our home, we are going to "Shake Things Up" a little bit. I don't know exactly what that means, but I'm looking forward to it!

I just hope one of those new "shake-ups" means I can get to sleep a little earlier at night!

Blessings.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Uh-oh - Deal or No Deal, and now "shaking things up"! It could be a very exciting autumn for your family!

cwinwc said...

You are so right. Are children are not only a gift from God, they are also (at times) a conduit to a better life.

Looking forward to hearing how you guys shake things up.