Monday, September 15, 2008

The Hitch

Web Site Counter


Saturday afternoon, my son was in the driveway/garage working on the trailer hitch on his truck. Something wasn't the way he wanted it to be. It was crooked, or something...so, he crawled under that truck and worked for a few hours on the problem. I checked on him a couple of times as I was doing laundry. (My machines are in the garage.) There seemed to be a bit of frustration because I guess it was not only the hitch that was crooked, but the frame of the truck, or something like that. I felt poorly that I couldn't fix it for him...whatever it was that was broken.

I listened to him talk about the situation, not understanding much of what he said, but wished desperately that I could figure out an answer for him that would allow him to come in from the hot cement and relax for a bit. It's tough, as our kids get older we are not able to "fix" things for them like when they were little...

After many hot hours of working, pounding, straining, long minutes of just laying there and looking, he came in to me and said with grease covering his smiling face and arms, "Wanna come see?"

I followed him out to the garage as he said to his Dad, "Hand me that white towel." I had some old towels that were no longer good for indoor use, so I washed them and gave them to him for rags. He spread out that white towel on the ground under the back of the truck and patted the ground/towel saying, "Here, Mom, get down here."

Those of you who know me...can you see me on the hot cement under a truck? I didn't think so.

But, do you think there was anywhere I'd rather be at that moment? Absolutely not. My son wanted to show me his work. He was proud of his accomplishment and wanted me to see it and explain it to me in detail.

So, my favorite part of my weekend was kneeling on a white towel with my son, looking up under the bed of his truck listening to things I don't understand.

Hope your weekend was good...
Blessings.

No comments: