Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Sweet Hour of Prayer

Many of you know Stephen Bailey and have already heard the sad news that he lost his nephew, Connor, in an automobile accident last night...(Monday)

His niece, Bailey, was airlifted to a hospital where she survived surgery that helped repair many broken and shattered bones. Bailey was/is headed to ACU in the fall...had just graduated from High School.

As I read the email from my friend telling me of this tragedy, my heart felt empty. My stomach began to turn. My head felt light. Physically, I was becoming sick at this news that I knew was so devastating to my friend, Stephen and his family.

My son was outside washing his truck. Lex was there chatting with him. My daughter was on the phone with one of her very best friends laughing that deep, sweet laugh that only comes from genuine acceptance and unconditional love of a long time friend.

I went to her bedroom and said, "hang up...call them back...we need to pray." I went to the front screen door and told the boys, "come in here...we need to pray..."

As I shared with them quickly what had happened, they came running to be part of a tiny circle of prayer for this family. We stood in our entry way, hands clasped together, forming what I think is the most powerful tool we have as Christians. Prayer...

What is important at the moment becomes ridiculous in light of such tragedy. When you know the deep wounds of a brother and sister, your helplessness becomes strength through prayer.

I ask you all to pray for this family. For Stephen and his family (the Bailey's) and for his sister and brother-in-law (Tod and LeeAnn Brown) at the loss of one child and the recovery of another.

Blest be the tie that binds
Our hearts in Christian love;
The fellowship of kindred minds
Is like to that above.

Before our Father’s throne
We pour our ardent prayers;
Our fears, our hopes, our aims are one
Our comforts and our cares.

We share each other’s woes,
Our mutual burdens bear;
And often for each other flows
The sympathizing tear.

1 comment:

Thurman8er said...

Our hearts and prayers have been going out to them.