Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11...5 years later

Some things are just too big to wrap your mind around.

You can't comprehend and fully digest the scope or magnitude of an event...even 5 years later.

We've all had individual moments in our lives that have made us gasp for air and feel like we may not make it through...

But this was a nation wide gasp...

I remember watching it all unfold on the Today Show...

I remember turning it off at one point in the day because I couldn't handle it any longer, just to turn around moments later and watch again because there were still so many unanswered questions.

Today, I was watching an interview of our President by Matt Lauer. This is not a political statement...it doesn't matter what I think about politics, taxes, the war in Iraq, Afghanistan, health care, and so on and so on.

What I heard on the news today calmed my spirit.

The President is briefed every day except Sunday, according to him, on continuing threats to the U.S. Matt Lauer talked to him about being a father and husband in New York...how a day doesn't go by but what he thinks about terrorist attacks and how is he going to keep his kids safe.

Matt said that with the burden of the knowledge that he (the President) is given every day, how does he sleep?

The President said quickly, two things help him sleep...

First, he believes and trusts in Almighty God and second, he trusts all the people around him.

I was glad he didn't take a direction of God loving the United States and we will triumph and junk like that...because God is God. We all know that...we know that each and every soul is important to God - regardless of where it resides.

But I loved the resolve in his voice. It gave me strength because it reminded me that whatever happens, I trust Almighty God. And as difficult and horrific as things seem, I have a rock to stand on.

Thank you, Mr. President.