Monday, September 25, 2006

The Conversation

So...the conversation with my daughter went something like this...

"Oh, Mom, the football game was a blast! We won. We are 3 - 0 now."

"That's great, honey. I'm glad you're having so much fun along with working so hard. I'm proud of you."

"Mom, did you know that in Texas you can ride in the bed of a pick-up as long as you don't go over 60 mph?"

"Ashley, there are reasons California passed the law that makes it illegal to ride in the back of a pick up. If you stop suddenly or get thrown out, you won't be in very good shape...if any shape at all."

"After the football game we were so excited we went to 'What-A-Burger'. They said it was like In 'N Out, but it wasn't. It was good though. And then, we were still all hyper from having fun, we went Rattlesnake Hunting!"

"You did what!?"

"Rattlesnake Hunting! It was a blast. The rattlesnakes like the heat from the car/tires and so they come to the truck...or something like that. My friend had his shotgun to kill it and a hatchet to take the rattle. I guess he collects them."

"O.K. So much to comment on here...let's start with the shotgun. Was this riding in the back of that truck with you, also? And let's just say you hit a bump or something...what if it goes off?"

"Oh, Mom...(she said giggling), it wasn't loaded and he had the safety on it! And besides, we didn't even see any rattlesnakes. But when we came to the end of the road, there was this house with two old guys sitting on the porch with shotguns sitting across their laps! Isn't that hysterical!? It looked just like the movies!"

(by now, I was hyperventilating!...quietly...didn't want her to stop talking.)

My usual ending to our conversations is..."I Love You, and I'm so proud of you." Today I choked out the words,

"Well, honey, you've certainly given me lots to worry about!"

"I love you, Mom. Talk to you later."

Oh my...

5 comments:

julie said...

I am loving having your daughter here. We worshipped together the Sunday night of lectureship. She's a great girl.

Brady said...

Hey, I remember using that Rattlesnake line to get the girl to go out into the wilderness with me... The hardest part was finding someone to loan me a shotgun.

But hey, don't worry…

cwinwc said...

I'm amazed that I survived my college years but I'm sure Ashley will be just fine.

Thurman8er said...

Texas is infectious. Like a bad rash or mononucleosis.

ashley marie said...

hahahaha! I knew you would worry about that. I figured it's something little to focus on instead of all the big stuff. And I've never had mononuleosis, but if it's as fun as ACU, bring it on. Don't worry uncle Steve, I've got all kinds of new stuff to teach James :0)