Thursday, September 21, 2006

Just Hangin' Round

This summer, I was feeling rather lousy. Spent literally months trying to feel good again. Had to cut back on my activity because I simply couldn't do everything I had been doing. So, one of the things to be cut from my schedule was Wednesday night rehearsal for the Worship Team.

I still felt that this was valuable, maybe even necessary, time together. It not only gets you technically ready for Sunday morning, but it allows you to see ahead what will be happening so you can "soak" in it for a few days. Rest in it. Struggle with it.

I always encouraged our folks to pray for what will be happening. Pray for their part in it.

But, I didn't have that much energy, so I let it go for the summer and we started meeting about 15 minutes earlier on Sunday morning.

Technically, it works. But I have missed the time together.

One of the "drawbacks" of the Wed night time was that not everybody could make it. Some teach Pioneer Club on Wed night, some work late, some work out of town during the week, some coach football/baseball/soccer which brings them home too late. So, there were those of us who always made it, and those who rarely did. Sometimes, that could be discouraging.

Yesterday afternoon, I told Lex that I was going to go to church because I just wanted to be there to see what was happening. (even though I didn't have a specific "job")

He joined me.

There were a couple of teachers ill, so one person asked Lex if he would help him teach. Lex loved it. Tired? Yes. But loved it still.

I ended up in conversation with 2 different people throughout the night that I wouldn't have talked to otherwise. I learned lots. They shared lots.

I guess we could have stayed home and watched Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune. (we are becoming old people). But it was so good to be together with others who love God like we do. I've wondered sometimes, if I weren't "employed" by the church, would I do as much? Would I go as often? Would I feel obligation to the body?

I hope so.

Fellowship...it's good for the body!

3 comments:

Karen said...

I think I probably started out going because I "should" but the joy of being with others who love God is what draws me there now. I truly miss not being there if I don't make it there.

cwinwc said...

Sometimes you just have to engaged the flock to "re-engage" yourself. I've been there a time or two.

Brady said...

Glad you were refreshed. I don't know how we can really be part of the Body, emotionally, relationally, etc., if we are not spending that time together. And like you wrote, you never know who God might send to you and what relationship might be strengthened. Hope you are feeling better.