Friday, September 15, 2006

The New Normal...Again


It's hard to get used to the "new normal", as I have written in recent posts, when the "new normal" keeps changing!

I picked up my sweet Avery from school on Monday and we headed to the Clovis DMV. He had all his paper work, his appointment, and his nerve.

I watched a couple of the DMV employee's who administer the driving test...in my mind I was thinking, "Oh please dear God, don't let him get that guy!"

AVERY HENDERSON "that guy" bellowed...O.K., God, if he has to get that guy, just give him an extra dose of calm as he takes his test.

I sat in the parents area as person after person came and went through the driving test. Some passed, most failed. YIKES! The saddest for me was an elderly gentleman who didn't pass. The employee was very short with him, not much compassion. Do they know what they've done to this guy? (dressed in nice slacks, a dress shirt, and tie, by the way) I wonder if somehow, in the inevitable moments of life -- like losing your license because you simply are too old to drive safely any longer -- if we can show some love and compassion in the process. It appears, at the DMV, that isn't possible.

I sat a while longer...every time the door opened my head snapped to look. No Avery. A couple of girls came in obviously disgusted with the whole process. Irritated...one crying. I had a magazine that I kept looking down at pretending to read. I read the same paragraph for about 30 minutes and then finally, he came in the door with "Mr. DMV Grumpy-Pants". I kept looking at his face, trying to figure out if he had passed or failed...then he finally looked over at me and gave me the sweetest smile and nodded. I squealed under my breath and looked immediately back down at my magazine because I felt the tears come quickly.

Good Grief! Crying over this too? I guess so. Another snip of the apron strings. Another finger pried loose from the grip of my son...my baby.

So, the picture you see at the top is a very happy Senior driving himself to school on Tuesday morning.

Congratulations, Avery! You passed in spite of Mr. DMV Grumpy-Pants!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My oldest won't be 16 for another 15 months, but I imagine I'll be feeling quite the same! Congratulations to Avery.

julie said...

Sandra, tears also sprang to my eyes reading this about your son. So, don't feel bad...although you know that I cry at everything...I'm convinced it is healthier than holding it back.

cwinwc said...

Way to go Avery. We had this experience this past July. It was strange to see "the boy" drive away in a vehicle that I wasn't driving.

Brady said...

Please, drive carefully, Avery…