Tuesday, May 10, 2005

So...it's Tuesday and you know what that means, right? Worship Planning? yes. Finding people to serve in the assembly Sunday morning? yes. Music choices and prep? yes. But there's one more thing. Something that only takes 15 - 20 minutes, and yet has a great impact on my day.

PRESCHOOL MUSIC!! Aahhh, yes. The room fills with what feels like thousands of little people as excited to see me as I am to see them. The energy is almost deafening. The rumble of little feet and voices still trying to figure out how to whisper is amusing. Finally, I ask them if they can all see my eyes...this gets them at least looking at me. Then...we sing.

We sing every song we know. A couple of them twice just because they sound so good. We're ready to sing for our parents. Only 9 more days and we'll stand on the stage and share what we've been working on for weeks.

I look over at my nephew, James, while we're singing. Sometimes he has his hands over his ears. (the kids can be rather explosive during a part of a song that says "my voice can be loud!") Sometimes his arms are crossed and he doesn't feel like participating.

Today, though, he's watching me. Not taking his eyes off me. A teacher pulls him close to her and says, "James, you need to sing." James puts his little pointer finger in the air and says, "It's not time."

Finally, we sing our favorite. Take Me Out to the Ballgame! They are loud and strong and animated. I wish you all could see it. It's one of the sweetest most pure displays of excitement I've ever seen.

Now...my brother is an Angel fan. Not just sort of a fan, but a life-long-loyal-whether-they-win-or-lose fan. So he's trying to brainwash his son to say "well it's root, root, root for the Angels"
but James continues to tease his Daddy by saying "root, root, root for the Red Sox!" I personally think it's hysterical to see his sense of humor at such a young age.

So I look over at James during music class to see what his little lips were going to say during this part of the song. (Yes, now it was time for him to sing...)

He says it just like he's supposed to. "Well, it's root, root, root for the Home Team!"

I smile and wink at him as we finish the song. He smiles the cutest, naughtiest smile I've ever seen him display and gives me a big thumbs up.

I have no clue what he'll do in 9 days.

Or, for that matter, what any of them will do.

But I do know they are priceless, beautiful, funny, talented, amazing creatures.

I may have shown them ways to see and hear music during our time together, but they have shown me the sweet face of God every Tuesday at 11:30.

2 comments:

Thurman8er said...

The thing is, I really don't think he's doing it just to tease. I really think that he's decided he likes the Red Sox. And I've decided that I'm okay with that. For now.

You should hear him sing that song at home. He sings it all the time. When there's a game on. When he's in his room. When he's lying down before falling asleep. When he's on the potty. And, usually, he puts on a BIG FINISH. Y'know..."at the OLLLLLLLD BALLLLLLLLLLL (completely different key here) GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!!!" You just have to know that I love it.

Heh heh. "It's not time yet." That's my boy.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

great post!

Blog Archive