Monday, May 02, 2005

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm exhausted!

My family ran at full speed all weekend. Many different events, everything enjoyable, but all very tiring. Didn't get one minute with the four of us together. That I don't like.

I was reading in Matthew this morning, trying to "rev up" my spiritual and physical engine, as it said in the 11th chapter, verse 28...

"Come to me, all of you who are tired and have heavy loads, and I will give you rest. Accept my teachings and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in spirit, and you will find rest for your lives."

Then, I saw on the margin a commentary on the passage which said:

"The purpose of Sabbath rest is physical and emotional renewal. A delightful space on the calendar reserved for becoming better acquainted with ourselves, others, and God; it is time for good talk, holy laughter, serious ideas, and shared intimacies between Creator and creature. Our souls are replenished, quieted, nurtured, caressed. Rest without spiritual rest is incomplete."

I don't know how you all spent your weekend...what you had to do...what you wanted to do, but mine didn't include any of the above.

Just because you're at church doesn't mean you're gaining spiritual renewal. Working on church projects doesn't make you holy. On the contrary, for those who participate in worship and ministries, whether on staff or volunteering, it's often the opposite. I don't know how to fix that, exactly, but I think I'm on to something that will provide me and those around me in my home more rest for their spirit and body.

I would like to think I'm so spiritual that I would "automatically" have quiet/fun/serious time with my family and particularly with my Creator, but I'm not that good. I think it's going to come down to scheduling time that is more important than any other time...time to renew, refresh, re-focus.

You all may be in much better shape than me in this matter. I hope so. But if not, let's remind each other what the Sabbath is supposed to be. A time of physical, emotional, and spiritual renewal.

No comments:

Blog Archive